Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Inez Reed

Hi Stephen & Tom - Before I forget, I'm awaiting an inter-library loan of one of David Dobson on Scottish Immigration. He compiled a directory based on source material in Scotland for departures to the States. It's an extensive work.

I'm also working on finding the origins of a Duncan Stiuhard (Stewart) who was banished to MA following the Battle of Dunbar. This loan seems to be on mule back...sigh.

Best wishes,

Inez

tpbiii

Cuz Tom, Pleasure to meet you though I am a Florida State seminole Fan having served five years in the Army in Tallahassee. I'm really an ACC fan. You can not get a better hot dog than at Georgia Tech.
    Let's hear it for the Varsity.

I was raised in Jacksonville, and FSU offered me a job at the same time as GT. But then they took it back and closed the whole department -- go figure?

David and Janet are my ggggrandparents.
    Yea, me too. I gave my lineage above. What is yours?

Do you have M. Robertson's genealogy papers on the McPhersons and the McKays?
    Yes.

Can anyone explain the relationship of David McKay and SGT Donald McKay (The Highlander)?
    Were they brothers? Were they father and son?
    Not likely either I think. They are the wrong ages. The only thing I have ever found written on the topic says no one knows.

I understand that David's passage from Caithness was bought by Donald.
    I never heard that -- where did you get that?

Here are parts of a conversation I am having with Inez Reed by email.

Tom: Some, but not with much luck. I was quite excited by this site because
    this forum topic started out talking about my ggg grandfather David McKay. It is his house that we now have, pasted down from long ago. In the Shelburne area, there were two McKay families. The first to come was a sargeant in the British army, named Donald, who received a land grant after the American Revolution -- 1783 or so. The other was descended from David McKay (my ggg gf), who came soon after 1800. They lived side by side in Jordan -- they may have be related (in Scotland) but that is not known.

Tom: Donald McKay's first son, Hugh, married Ann McPherson and and David (my ggg gf) married her younger sister, Janet. The famous Donald McKay was the son of Hugh and Ann, and he was the first cousin of my gg gf, William. Even though they were both McKays, they were actually related through their mothers, Ann and Janet.

Tom: So if you come from Jordan Falls McKays, the first question is which family you come from. This is all the more complicated because there were many children, and much inter marriage.

Inez: It's my understanding that these McKays lived at Hartz Point. I had also wondered just where my ggg-gf and ggg-gm McKay married, here or Scotland??? Did she come to NS with her parents? I haven't looked at any of the Morrisons in that area.

Tom: Right now, I am trying to check out an old family "legend" -- according to my grandfather, Leslie, his grandfather William told him the famous Donald McKay was born in our house. All I know so far is that David got the property in 1825, 15 years after the famous Donald was born. I don't yet know who he got it from. His sister-in-law was indeed the mother of famous Donald.

Tom: This is not really important, but it is nice summer fun.

Is there anyway we can convince you to post a picture of the home in Jordan Falls?
    Sure, but it will probably have to wait to we get back to Canada next week. We are visiting family in VT, and we are technology challenged. PM me with an email address, and I can send you some.

We have lots of artifacts in the house dating back well more than 100 years. The old house saw some bad times, particularly in the depression where it was nearly lost for taxes. It has been highly modified -- in the 30's, the neighbors kept livestock in it. This did not please my grandfather!

The land that goes with the house goes back 1 1/4 miles from the Jordan River. The lot next door, which we also own (my grandfather bought it in the 40's) runs back 1 1/2.

Inez and I will need to plan a trip to Jordan Falls one day when you are summering there. I dream of sailing to Nova Scotia one day.
    Watch out for Cape Sable Island! But come on up. The place has four bedrooms, and we and use one. Of course, they are pretty small bedrooms by today's standards.

I am a retired Lieutenant Colonel from the US Army with 25 years of service. I once taught Information Technology. Now I live in Northern Virginia and work at the Pentagon.
    I'm the guy who set the US and NATO standard 2400 BPS speech coder (Mixed Excitation Linear Predictive Coder MELP) -- so if you hate low bit rate secure communications, I am your man.

We will need to talk an awful lot more.
    Sure. Let's get in touch when we get back to NS. Inez and I have already been talking by direct email. I guess there is no reason we can't do it publicly in case others are interested. PM me with an address, and I will copy you and bring you up to date.

Best,

-Tom

Inez Reed

Default Found a marriage date - In Scotland

Hi Tom and Stephen - I found a marriage date on the IGI that would fit into my time line for Shelburne, NS. A William McKay married a Caitherine Morrison in Thurso, Caithness, Scotland on 11 March 1803. This date, if it holds would allow me to narrow the departure date from Scotland to NS.

Best wishes,

Inez

Inez Reed

Hi Tom and Stephen - Let me correct this. I found a marriage date on the IGI that would fit into my time line for Shelburne, NS. A William McKay married a Caitherine Morrison in Brawlbin, Caithness, Scotland on 11 March 1803. This date, if it holds would allow me to narrow the departure date from Scotland to NS.

There was a Donald McKay listed that was a son of a William that would have been older than my William but at this point it's a fishing expedition.

Inez Reed

Default One Mo' Time - Correction

Let me correct myself...again...Wm and Catharine Morrison were married in Thurso in 1803 as per first post.

There was a Donald McKay that was born in Brawlbin and later went to Thurso. He was definitely from the highlands. He's mentioned in the Book of McKay. That book has been digitized and is on the Family History Archive of the Mormon Church. I have dial up so I have not been able to wade through part 2 of the book which has all of the McKay branches.

Donald (joined 1777?) was mustered out of the 76th along with a Gilbert McKay. I've found some records associated with him (presumably dates are right) in Shelburne. I think Stephen's thoughts on the elder McKay being responsible for bringing some of his kinsmen into the area.

Take care and hope to hear from the two of you soon.

Inez

tpbiii

We are back in Canada now. Here is a picture of the house.

Here is the dining room

Here is an old picture -- 1930s?

Old house picture

Here are pictures of family -- does anyone recognize anyone. There are mostly mid 19th century.

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Who am I?

Best,

-Tom

joette

I will be in Thurso at the end of this month so if anybody knows any locations there I am happy to photograph homes,cemeteries etc.
    Any relation to David Oman McKay who was President of the LDS Church? I know his McKay Grandfather came from Thurso too?

Inez Reed

Default Old Photos

Thank you Tom for posting photographs of the house. It looks very familiar. The older picture may have been taken just after the first World War. The quality of the picture reminds me of many of the pictures taken by various relatives in the early 1920s. Architecturally speaking, the house looks its age although I think the chimney in the older photo may be late 19th century. It appears to have a high degree of integrity and a high percentage of "original fabric".

Where was the stairwell?

When did the outbuildings come down?

Two or three of the photos look like something I may have seen in the past, mostly the two with the firearm, the group sitting in the parlor/dining room and one of the men with the very pale blue eyes. He reminds me of my grandfather Walker largely because Dad had the most incredible blue, almost violet eyes I have ever seen. He was quite fair and had red hair as a young man. His features were also quite sharp. I couldn't, however, put a name to any of them. Has Frances seen them?

Take care and thank you again for the pictures. The ladies dresses look a lot like the ones worn by the one picture I saw of Grandmother Jane S. Walker. I would guess it was taken around 1870 - 1880. Some of your ladies pictures certainly pre-date that. One lady appears twice, I think, interesting bracelets or cuff treatment...fashionista I'm not <g>.

Inez

Inez Reed

Hi Joette - Are you going graveyard crawling? I wish I knew more about the churches in the area, the area, period. Are you looking for traces of your forebears in Thurso? Have you been through the Book of McKay on the family history section of the LDS family search site?

What are your particulars?

Best wishes,

Inez

joette

No no McKay's in my line at all.I'm Scottish by birth & upbringing &LDS so am aware of David O McKay's lineage-he was very proud of being "Scottish" & he served in Thurso as a missionary for the LDS Church.
    I will be visiting my sister who has moved to Thurso & as I love visiting Cemeteries!!! thought if anybody wanted any pics from any or from anywhere in Thurso would be happy to do so.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast