Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Images problem

busyglen

Red face Images problem

I've been quite happily adding photos to my new website, but I have hit on a problem that I can't for the life of me see how to correct. I've played about for hours, but the answer still eludes me! I'd be grateful of a point in the right direction. I use Front Page.

Someone kindly sent me some photos they had found, but when I received them, I couldn't originally view them. I finally found I could view them through either Windows picture viewer, or the Microsoft pictures programme.

So that I had easy access to start with, I copied each photo to my desktop and selected to save as jpeg as I think they were bmp. I also changed the original saved name to photo20 or whatever so that it would be consistent in the images folder eventually. However, when I did a dummy run and tried one out, it puts the jpeg as JPEG. I've tried all ways, but I just can't find out how to make it lower case. The actual box that comes up asking you what you want to save as...(when you are copying to another location) shows everything in caps ie. TIF, BMP, JPEG etc.

Help! Is there any way of rectifying this other than my asking the person who sent them to scan them again and save as jpeg? I don't like to do this as her scanner is broken and she went into town to do this for me.

I'd be very grateful for any help with this please.

Glenys

MarkJ

Hiya Glen

Drop one of the pictures to me and I will see if I can convert them for you

Mark

Reputation beyond repute

Are you just saying that you want to change picture.JPEG to picture.jpeg?

Then just rename it in windows. Select, right click and choose Rename.

But I must have misunderstood the question.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Are you just saying that you want to change picture.JPEG to picture.jpeg?

Then just rename it in windows. Select, right click and choose Rename.

But I must have misunderstood the question.
    Not quite Peter. The original picture was called `Sea' and was a bmp. When it was downloaded it saved to my docs, as there were several and were zipped. I selected `Sea' and copy to: I chose desktop to save to as it is easier at this point. At this point it asks what you want it saved as (as in type ie.BMP, JPEG, etc.) I selected JPEG and it put `Sea' on my desktop as a JPEG. I then changed the name to photo24 or similar. When I went to put it into images, it comes out as photo24JPEG not photo24jpg which is required. If it was just a question of calling the photo jpeg instead of JPEG, then that wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps I am missing something?

Glenys

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Hiya Glen

Drop one of the pictures to me and I will see if I can convert them for you

Mark
    Thanks Mark, if there isn't a simple answer, then I would be pleased of your help. There are actually 5 of them.

Glenys

busyglen

Actually Peter, I have just thought....I didn't make myself clear sorry....when you are asked what type: it gives you a pick-list ie.JPEG, BMP etc. which is in capitals, this is why I can't change it. You have to click on one of them and there's no way that you can alter them.

Not to worry....I'm not too good on explanations!

Glenys

Reputation beyond repute

Why can't you change the name in Windows? Highlight photo24.JPEG, right click and select Rename. Then type photo24.jpg.

I'm probably just being thick. I won't trouble you again on this one.

Glenys

I am a complete computer dunce but like you I use Front Page to run a (non genealogical) website, which has quite a few photos. I am pretty sure some of these have originally been bitmaps, because I have definitely used Paint to save them as .jpgs, and I seem to remember being offered the upper case .JPEG options and clicking on it. However, I have just told my computer to search for any file with the .JPEG suffix and it can't come up with a single one, so maybe they all get stored as .jpgs anyway? Try going into Front Page and just clicking on Insert Picture from File and then clicking on the desired photo, without trying to type in the file name. If it brings up the photo you may find it has interpreted it as .jpg anyway.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Why can't you change the name in Windows? Highlight photo24.JPEG, right click and select Rename. Then type photo24.jpg.

I'm probably just being thick. I won't trouble you again on this one.
    I was going to suggest the same thing Peter - seems like a logical way forward to me (but I don't have much to do with the Windows interface)

Mark

busyglen

It's not you being thick Peter it's me!

I understand what you and Mark are saying, but because of the way I have dealt with the photos....it doesn't work. I'm thick! The photos are named photo24/photo25 etc.without the jpeg being appended in the title. It's because I changed the `type' that I can't seem to get to it to alter it. I CAN amend it in my images folder, but it says it may make it unstable. I suppose I could try it and see if it uploads ok.

Thanks for your time, I'm sorry I'm such an idiot! Just when I think I've got to grips with it all something else comes along and I'm back to square one!

I'll have another go when I have time, but I'm off on holiday on Monday so won't have a lot of time.

Glenys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast