Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Verina

Default Yacht building in Essex

Having had confirmation that my mother's story about the family connection with George Stephenson I am now looking to either confirm or not.

This is the family story.

The Barnard ancestors located in the Leigh on Sea/Prittlewell area of Essex were involved in Yatch building!!!

It did occur that there may be a connection with the Barnard Shipbuilders at Deptford (biography - Building Britains Wooden Walls). The Deptford Barnards had connections with Essex and East Anglia. My Barnards living in Essex were also located in Norfolk and London.

The direct line of my family Barnards were Bakers, Millers and Fishermen.

There is evidence of a Daniel Barnard in Norfolk being involved in Sailmaking - was this mill sails or yatch sails?

Other surnames which may be involved are - Coe, Plumb, Stockwell.

Do you have any connection with the Barnards, Coes, Plumbs or Stockwells?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Verina

I don't know if there is a family connection, but a Plumbs Cottage, right on the wharf at Old Leigh, has recently been renovated and forms part of the Leigh Heritage Centre. This was apparently built by James Plumb.

Regards

Martin

Marie C..

My daughter in law has Mahala Plumb (married Elijah Brown)from Leigh Essex in her tree. I gave her all the research I did on it..so can't remember offhand, but one line of Plumbs were influential in Essex. Some were fishermen , also boatmen etc. M

Leighman

The Plumbs, Coes and Stockwells are all connected at Leigh, not to mention the Barnards.

I have access to parish records if you wish for look ups

Incidentally I was the co-ordinator for the restoration project for Plumbs Cottage so can help with pictures of the restoration

Leighman

Verina

Default Yatch building in Essex

To Leighman

Thanks for your reply to my message.

My own direct ancestry comes from Susan Plumb who married James Coe Barnard who is the son of George Mayne Barnard. It appears that she descends from Samuel and Johnna Plumb. So perhaps this family story has some truth in it especially since Plumbs Cottage was on the wharf in Old Leigh.

I am pleased to hear of the restortion project and would like to see any pictures of this.

The Stockwell name looms large down the generations my own brother and also the living American cousin of my mother (aged 95) both had the middle name of Stockwell.

Thank you for your offer of look ups - when I have revisited my files may I get back to you?

Verina

Hello Martin

Thanks for your information.

As you can see from my reply to Leighman my own family comes through Susan Plumb

I haven't yet found James Plumb if you have any further information on him perhaps you will let me know.

All this information is very useful maybe my mother wasn't inventing family stories.

Verina

Verina

Hi M

Thank you for your reply to my query.

On my family tree I have Mahala Plumb and my own line comes through her brother John who married Ann Sullens. I should be very interested to see where Mahala slots into your Daughter in Laws tree.

Verina

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

I have an Elizabeth Plumb born in 1813 in Leigh On Sea. She wed Nathan Quilter in 1836 in Leigh.

Ben

Marie C..

Verena ,
    So glad to find you again. I couldn't find your thread/post anywhere.

Your Susan Plumb and our Mahala had the same grandparents (and I've mislaid my bit of paper that I scribbled it on, will go and look for it) so you and my D I L and my grandaughter are distant relatives.

Benny,
    Our Mahala Plumb married Elijah Brown of Prittlewell and on t'other side Daughter in law has Quilter(Bloomfield Quilter) (A quilter married a Bloomfield) (all Essex but I have a feeling her Bloomfield came originally from norfolk/Suffolk. Have you found any Norfolk/Suffolk?Essex links. Traced Samuel Quilter to Oakley in Essex. Do you think the Plumbs might have come from Norfolk originally? M

Marie C..

VERENA
    Found it.
    Samuel Plumb (born 1773)married Mary Clark and they had Mahala (bap. Leigh 1817(Pallots baptism).(Mahala was the youngest)
    Mahala married Elijah Brown of Prittlewell(boatman/fisherman) . Mahala is my grandaughter's 4/5 great grandmother.
    Benny,
    There was a Johanna, 20 jan 1771, Samuel 1st Feb 1773, and Elizabeth 1775.(siblings) Is Elizabeth 1775 yours? M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast