billgardner

Default Kingswood School and WW1

The Park Primary School, Kingswood, Bristol, is a new building but has inside it a memorial plaque titled HIGH STREET BOYS SCHOOL KINGSWOOD and commemorates former scholars who gave their lives in the great war. I've listed the names below and arranged for someone to send me a photograph of the plaque which I'll make available if anyone wants it.
    Alfred E TURNER (a member of staff)
    Walter ALVIS, George AYRES, Gilbert BAMFIELD, Ernest BIGGS, Ernest BRIDGE, Bert CARTER, Fred CARTER, Frank CARTER, James CRATES, Harold DARKE, Fred DAVIES, Stanley DENNING, Gilbert ETTLE, Herbert ETTLE, Sam FREKE, Silas FREKE, Archie HASKINS, Ernest GAY, Walter GAY, Jack GWINNELL, Arthur HAINES, Percy HASKINS, Oliver HAYES, Walter HOBBS, Graham HOBBS, Arthur HODGES, Charles HOOPER, Philip JEFFERIES, Frank JOBBINS, Fred JOBBINS, William KEAR, Walter KENDALL, Joseph LASBURY, George LEONARD, Clifford NOBLE, Archie OLDS, Arthur OLDS, Roy PALMER, Gilbert PALMER, Albert PAYNE, William PAYNE, Herbert PHIPPS, William PITT, William POWELL, John L ROCKETT, Arthur SAUNDERS, William SCOTT, Edward Sheppard, Thomas E SHEPPARD, Philip YEOMAN, Harold SKIDMORE, Harry SMITH, William SMITH, Abraham TAYLOR, Henry TEALE, Percy THOMAS, Sam TOGHILL, Arthur TRIBLE, Bertie VEALE, Alfred WEBB, Ralph WEBB, Fred WILLIS, Bert WILLMOTT, Tom WILLMOTT, Tom WILTON.

Knowledgeable and helpful

None of the names are relevant to me but I just wanted to say how thoughtful it is of you to post that information.
    Browneyes

Loves to help with queries

As an old boy of High Street school in the mid to late 50's I found this very interesting as I recognise some of the surnames as those of boys that also attended there. Was the plaque in the old school? I cannot remember it but then at that age it would have unfortunately been of little interest.

JenniLl

There are several that appear to be brothers, although I suppose could be unrelated. Awful to lose one son in such a way but to lose more than one is unbearable to think about.

Jenni

billgardner

I didn't know any of the names but I could certainly feel for the families that lost their sons. Copying all the names by hand and then typing them into this thread really brought home to me the horror of that war and the tremendous waste of life.
    I was also very pleased that someone had thought, three years ago, when this school was being built to put this memorial in quite a prominent position inside the building.

billgardner

Following a suggestion from daggers I have copied the details of this memorial to the Imperial War Museum