Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valman

Default Thomas. L.C.Courts, Edinburgh.

Hi, l wonder if anyone can help find my 2GGrandfathers son Thomas Luke Cooper Courts, he was born in London in 1822, was shown as a Wire Weaver on his marriage certificate in 1845, l can find no mention of him in 1851, but in 1861, l find him living on his own with a housekeeper at 10, Midcommon Close, Edinburgh, 0ccupation still a wire weaver, his wife and family had gone back to London so it seems, there is no mention of him after that. Has anyone any idea how l could find out what happened to him as l haven't much idea about tracing people in Scotland at all.

Thanks very much,

Valman.

Mutley

I've had a quick look but to pin him down a bit more, could you tell us the wife's name and any children. I can see the marriage but there are several females on the page. Also did he state where in London he was born at all, North is normally Middlesex and south is normally Surrey.

The marriage was Bethnal Green and that was Middlesex, not transferred to London until 1889.

I can also see another Thomas Courts born about 1825 in England that is roaming around Scotland working in a circus. Are you sure it said wire weaver and not wire walker? (Sorry, only joking )

Valman

Default Thomas L.C.Courts,Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I've had a quick look but to pin him down a bit more, could you tell us the wife's name and any children. I can see the marriage but there are several females on the page. Also did he state where in London he was born at all, North is normally Middlesex and south is normally Surrey.

The marriage was Bethnal Green and that was Middlesex, not transferred to London until 1889.

I can also see another Thomas Courts born about 1825 in England that is roaming around Scotland working in a circus. Are you sure it said wire weaver and not wire walker? (Sorry, only joking )
    Hi Mutley,

His wife's name was Martha Mary Sparks, and they had daughters Martha born 1846 and Elizabeth Born 1849 both Bethnal Green, and then another daughter Maria l think born in 1851 in Edinburgh. He was born in Aldgate and his marriage certificate definitely says Wire Weaver, lve seen the other Thomas in the census and wondered about that myself lol! He seems to have stayed in Scotland after maybe Maria was born there, l can't find them anywhere during 1851 though, but his wife and daughters moved back to Bethnal Green where she shows herself on the 1861 census as a widow,whereas he is in the census in Scotland! l suppose he could have become a circus act and she didn't approve.

Valman

Mutley

There is a Thomas Couch (I don't have Scottish access to check the name) in 1851.
    He is born in abt 1823 in England and a Lodger in a household with:
    Jane Scott age 48
    William Scott age 13
    John E K Franklin age 36
    William Bryce age 16

Thomas is a Wire Worker.
    The address is 140 Pleasance, Edinburgh St. Cuthberts, Midlothian
    ED 30 Page 14

Valman

Default thomas L.C.Courts, Edinburgh.

There is a Thomas Couch (I don't have Scottish access to check the name) in 1851.
    He is born in abt 1823 in England and a Lodger in a household with:
    Jane Scott age 48
    William Scott age 13
    John E K Franklin age 36
    William Bryce age 16

Thomas is a Wire Worker.
    The address is 140 Pleasance, Edinburgh St. Cuthberts, Midlothian
    ED 30 Page 14
    Hi again,

that looks a possibility, though l wonder what happened to his wife and daughters not sure what month Maria the 3rd daughter was born. Scottish records are difficult anyway to access, might have to buy some credits on a Scottish site to have a look see if its him or not.

Valman.

Mutley

I tried looking for a child Martha in London with mother Martha (no surname) and then looked at each to see if there was a young Elizabeth with them but only saw one and that was a Smith surname. So not likely.

As you say Scotland is harder, though it seems to be easier once you have credits. Sorry, Bethnal Green I can manage, North of Watford and I've had it.

Good Luck

Sadly civil registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855, so Maria was born just too early. Scotlandspeople does have the old parish registers and I put in a search for a Maria baptised between 1851 and 1853 in Edinburgh or Midlothian, but got no hits. Maybe they had her baptised when they got back to Bethnal Green?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Mutley

Good thinking Sue,
    Unfortunately, the only birth registration I can see is Maria Courts in Lewisham in June 1852 1d/539.

Searched 1847 - 1853

Good thinking Sue,
    Unfortunately, the only birth registration I can see is Maria Courts in Lewisham in June 1852 1d/539.

Searched 1847 - 1853
    No, she was born in ca 1852 in Edinburgh, according to the census, but civil registration didn't start there till three years later. I couldn't find her baptism and wondered if she had been baptised in Bethnal Green, as the wife and kids apparently left hubby in Scotland, but that would be in the parish registers rather than the GRO indexes. Having said that, the Lewisham one might be worth bearing in mind if all else fails.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Valman

Default Thomas L.C.Courts, Edinburgh

I tried looking for a child Martha in London with mother Martha (no surname) and then looked at each to see if there was a young Elizabeth with them but only saw one and that was a Smith surname. So not likely.

As you say Scotland is harder, though it seems to be easier once you have credits. Sorry, Bethnal Green I can manage, North of Watford and I've had it.

Good Luck
    Hi Mutley,

The family is there in Bethnal Green in 1861 under the surname Court, with Maria shown as being born in 1852, Edinburgh, 1871 still in Bethnal Green under Courts, Maria shown as born in 1854, Bethnal Green just to confuse things even more she has a child Elizabeth 3 months old! in 1881 Martha senior is living with a family in Mile End old Town. So where Maria was born who knows and as for Thomas that is even more of a mystery, so have to definitely buy some credits for Scotland as l think he must have died there.

Thanks for your help,

Val.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast