rosann

Default Millers/Harts Braughing

Hello I have been compiling my family tree for some years, I put all my dtails onto a software package and then lost it all through a computer problem My Gt Gt grandfather is John Miller born 1837 in Crishall (or Chrishall) Essex, he moved to Braughing and is listed on the 1891 census as a Railway Porter. John Miller married Mary Ann Hart (of Braughing) and they had 9 children Emily Martha Miller, Walter Henry, Alfred John (my Gt Grandfather) Elizabeth Eleanor, Ebenezer Brunes, George James, Albert Edward, Florence Bertha, Maurice Cornelious. There is also a like with the Drage family also of Braughing or Bishops Stortford. Mary Ann Hart's father was Henry and mother Susan Hart formerly Harris. Any information regarding these families would be useful and this time I am going to write it down or print it off! Thank you

petercornish

Hi Rosann,

The Hertfordshire Marriage Index records the marriage of John and Mary Ann at Braughing on 25Dec1860. I will check this with the parish register on my next visit to HALS and also search for the nine baptisms.
    Regards ... Peter

petercornish

Hi Rosann,

I searched the Braughing PRs and can confirm the marriage of John and Mary Ann on 25Dec1860. The entry reads ... John MILLER of full age bach labourer of Braughing F.Ebenezer Miller Labourer and Mary Ann HART minor spinster of Braughing F.Henry HART shoemaker. Witnesses George HART and Martha Worrang(?) MILLER.

I searched for the baptisms for the period 1860 - 1885 but could only find three viz. 04Aug1861 Martha, 12Oct1862 Eleanor Elizabeth and 15May1864 Emily Martha.

Regards ... Peter

rosann

Default Millers/Harts of Braughing

Thank you very much for the info, brilliant.

What is a minor spinster? I presume it is a young single women rather than an older single women.

janbooth

Default Mary Ann HART

A minor means that Mary Ann was under the age of 21 when she married. This looks like her in the 1851 census of Braughing in case you do not have the details:

HO107/1706, folio 603, page 22
    Braughing St

Henry HART Head Mar 39 Journeyman Cordwainer Braughing Herts
    Susan do Wife Mar 39 do do
    Charlotte do Daur Un 14 do do
    Mary Ann do Daur 10 Scholar do do
    George do Son 8 do do do
    Joseph do Son 6 do do do
    Eliza do Daur 3 do do
    Sarah do Daur 1 do do

and in the 1841 census of Braughing:

HO107/434/4, folio 37, page 12
    Braughing Street

Henry HART 25 Shoe Mr J (Shoe Maker Journeyman) Born in county yes
    Susan do 25 yes
    Charlotte do 5 yes
    Mary Ann do 1 yes

Ages of adults (over the age of 15) in the 1841 census were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years.

According to Hugh Wallis's IGI site, there is an extracted baptism at Braughing of a Mary Ann HART on 17 May 1840, father Henry mother Susan plus the extracted baptisms of her siblings. There is also an extracted marriage for a Henry HART & a Susanna HARRIS on 18 August 1835 at Braughing and this is confirmed by the Herts Online Marriage Index.

HTH

Janet

rosann

Default Millers/Harts of Braughing

Thank you very much Janet for the information, very useful but it has thrown up another question!! what is an extracted baptism, marriage etc.

Thanks ever so much for your time

Regards

rosann

Quote Originally Posted by petercornish View Post
    Hi Rosann,

The entry reads ... John MILLER of full age bach labourer of Braughing F.Ebenezer Miller Labourer and Mary Ann HART minor spinster of Braughing F.Henry HART shoemaker. Witnesses George HART and Martha Worrang(?) MILLER.

I searched for the baptisms for the period 1860 - 1885 but could only find three viz. 04Aug1861 Martha, 12Oct1862 Eleanor Elizabeth and 15May1864 Emily Martha.

Regards ... Peter

Peter, sorry but am still new to this and so many questions keep popping up!! after John Miller of full age bach labourer of Braughing there is F.Ebenezer Miller, what is the F. stand for? I note it is against Henry Hart too and I know her father to be Henry so was John Miller's father Ebenezer?
    Thanks for your patience and time

Regards

rosann

Smile Millers/Harts of Braughing

I found Ebenezer married to Elizabeth ? his son was John Miller who married Mary Ann Hart. The witnesses at the marriage were Martha Warner (Johns Sister) and George Hart (Mary Ann's Brother)

Thanks everyone for your help

jean myrtle

Default miller

Albert Edward Miller married Jane Thompson (she came to work in the "big house" in Westmill) from the east end of London. A.E.Miller's father went to Westmill as railway gate keeper and lived in the gate house (now removed) A.E. became signal man at Westmill station. Jane and Albert Edward (known as Bert) lived at
    3 The Terrace and raised 3 children Ethel who married Fred Anthony builder in Westmill, Violet who married Jack Wornham of Lye End Farm, Sandon. and Albert John (known as John) who married Aine a nurse who came over from Ireland.
    The writer of this message went to live in the village of Chrishall in 1964 little knowing it was where her great, great grandparents once lived!