Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    louisemccrea

Default Brickwall with deVall in Rugeley

Hi

I have hit a brickwall with my gt. grandfather x5 George deVall I can't find his birth i know he was born in Rugeley he was born around 1786 i have got this from the 1841 census. He was a Hatter and i have been in touch with someone else researching the deValls from Rugeley who were also Hatters i believe he must belong to these deValls but i don't know where i have found many of his possible brothers and sisters and also parents but i cant find him anywhere he is not on the parish registers as far as i know as another decendent had a look she said parts of it were so faded it was hard to see anything. I know he was married twice his second wife was a Sarah Harvey they married 7 may 1832 west bromwich and had two children Sarah and Martha i can track him from here but i also know he had a son John to his first wife i cant find Johns birth i know it is about 1816 i have everything else about him i think Johns mother was called Mary Rhodes as i have a marriage for Mary Rhodes and George deVall 11 may 1813 Sedgeley and i know John married in Sedgeley himself so maybe that was where he was brought up.

Any help would be great as i would love tolink George up with the other Rugeley deValls

Thanks Louise

Nicolina

you say that you got the place of birth from the 1841 Census but that ony says whether they were born in the County or not. It does not give places of birth.
    You could try looking for him, prior to 1841, in Trade Directories. Maybe he was in business with family members.

samgibbons56

Hello Louise,
    There are a few bapts for the Devall name at Stone in Staffs, which is not too far away from Rugeley, might be worth a look. These are on the IGI and there is a John bapt 1813.
    Regards
    Sam

janbooth

Default George DeVALL

Louise,

If I have the correct family, they are in Dudley, Worcestershire in both the 1841/51 census records and in the 1851 census, George is shown as being born in c1788 at Rugby, Staffordshire:

1851 census
    HO107/2032, folio 442, page 5
    Stafford Street

George DeVALL Head Mar 63 Hatter Rugby Stafford
    Sarah do Wife Mar 63 Hatter's wife Cannock do
    Sarah do Daur U 16 Hatter's daughter Dudley Worcester

1841 census
    HO107/1196/4, folio 14, page 21
    High Street

George DeVALL 50 Hatter Born in county no
    Sarah do 50 no
    Martha do 8 yes
    Sarah do 7 yes

I have interpreted George's birthplace on the 1851 as Rugby (although Rugby is in Warwickshire) and not Rugeley, although it could be Rugeley. However, if you cannot find his baptism at Rugeley it might be worthwhile looking at Rugby.

Janet

louisemccrea

Hi Thanks everyone

George is in the trade directorys for Dudley in Pigots directory 1835 and Bentleys 1841 i know he was a master hatter and had his own shop but there is no sign of other deValls working with him other than his son who was also a master hatter and had his own shop in Stafford st dudley. I have checked the other deValls in Stone but there is no connection unfortunatly although there is possible links with deVals in Blithfield and Colton which i believe to be near Rugeley also.
    Me and another lady looked into George being born in Rugby as that is the correct family but there was nothing. I may just have to accept that maybe he is on the parish register but the bits that are elegible which is annoying as is finding his sons birth hopefully i will get there

Thankyou Louise

samgibbons56

Quote Originally Posted by louisemccrea View Post
    Hi Thanks everyone

George is in the trade directorys for Dudley in Pigots directory 1835 and Bentleys 1841 i know he was a master hatter and had his own shop but there is no sign of other deValls working with him other than his son who was also a master hatter and had his own shop in Stafford st dudley. I have checked the other deValls in Stone but there is no connection unfortunatly although there is possible links with deVals in Blithfield and Colton which i believe to be near Rugeley also.
    Me and another lady looked into George being born in Rugby as that is the correct family but there was nothing. I may just have to accept that maybe he is on the parish register but the bits that are elegible which is annoying as is finding his sons birth hopefully i will get there

Thankyou Louise
    Hi Louise,
    Blithfield and Colton are very close to Rugeley as also is Lichfield, where there were a few mentions of the name.
    I lived in Rugeley for a few years before moving here to France.
    Regards
    Sam

louisemccrea

Hi Sam

Thanks for that it is interesting to know that Lichfield is also close by as i have some links to there also sometimes it is hard to tell by maps as i have never been to these areas as i am away up in Glasgow but i would like to visit sometime.

Thanks Louise

samgibbons56

Quote Originally Posted by louisemccrea View Post
    Hi Sam

Thanks for that it is interesting to know that Lichfield is also close by as i have some links to there also sometimes it is hard to tell by maps as i have never been to these areas as i am away up in Glasgow but i would like to visit sometime.

Thanks Louise
    Hi Louise,
    In another life, about 6 years ago, I did a daily commute to Lichfield from Rugeley it's about 20 mins in the car and that's in traffic.
    If you look at Rugeley in the Staffordshire pages of Genuki and click on the nearby places link it should give you a better idea of the area.
    Regards
    Sam

janbooth

Default George DEVALL

Have you done a Google book search on George, Louise. I had a quick look and it appears that he may have gone bankrupt, as there is one entry in "The Jurist", page 274, Friday 24 July 1863 - "To be heard in the Country DEVALL, George, Dudley, Worcestershire, hatter, Aug 17 Dudley. Off. Ass. Walker: Sol. Maltby, Dudley-Pet. f. July 21". Also an entry in The Solicitor's Journal on Friday July 24 1863 where he was declared bankrupt. I don't know if there are any further entries which might shed light on his parentage.

There is also an entry for George on Access to Archives which reports some lead stolen from him and what looks like a court case held at Epiphany 1822 (details at Worcestershire Record Office).

None of this helps to find his birthplace, but it is interesting background information. Did George leave a will by any chance? If he did it might give you some clues.

Janet

louisemccrea

Hi Janet

I had found the a2a thing on the stolen lead but the bankruptsy i did not know about how did you find it i am not the most computer literate and i am unsure what google book is.

Thankyou for your help
    Louise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast