Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    v.wells

Default Photo Help Please

I was emailed some pics that appeared as 2"x1" images from a digital camera and when I copied onto desktop to print them out as 4x6 photos they went all pixelly and images became to blurred. How do I fix this? Is it how they were emailed or what? They print off as 2x1 clearly on regular paper but they are still too small to see properly.

Peter_uk_can

Vanessa. Right click on the images and look at "Properties" Good chance that are at something like 72 Pixels Per Inch and if so, they won't enlarge in any quality.

Ask for something like 6x4 and 200 or 500 pixels. That way you will get a good image. It will be a large file, but no problem if you have Hi speed.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I don't know the answer Vanessa but I'm willing to shout for help with you...

Browneyes

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    Vanessa. Right click on the images and look at "Properties" Good chance that are at something like 72 Pixels Per Inch and if so, they won't enlarge in any quality.

Ask for something like 6x4 and 200 or 500 pixels. That way you will get a good image. It will be a large file, but no problem if you have Hi speed.
    Peter, where do I ask for 6x4? Properties say 130x97 at 77dpi bit depth 24.

Browneyes Thanks for yelling with me! I don't feel so alone

Hugh Thompson

Vanessa, when you email a picture out of your "My Pictures"folder, Windows asks if you want the picture resized smaller so that it can be sent faster, there are two buttons, Make my pictures smaller or keep the original size, tell whoever is sending them to you to keep the original size, they take longer to send but you retain all the information of the original photo.
    It could also be that maybe there's something they are doing wrong at the other end.
    Hugh.

Peter_uk_can

Vanessa. As Hugh says. It is the sender who has to provide you with more pixels.

One thing we can't do is make pixels. If a photo is sent in low resolution you can't improve on what you were given.

That is why photos sent to forums can't usually be "zoomed" very much.

I save my originals scans at something like 1600 pixels, which allows me to repair them and often see detail. But to e-mail them at that resolution could take quite some time.

Hugh Thompson

Thanks Peter you said it better than me, I scan my old family pics at 1200 dpi so that I've got something to work with on Photoshop, then convert them to Jpeg to bring down the file size, then email them as is to family members, that way I know that they are receiving the same image that I have with no degredation.

v.wells

Thank you Peter and Hugh. I have just emailed for a re-send in original format like 4x6 so hope that works. When I looked at the properties on several of them the pixel sizes were slightly different. I couldn't do anything in either Photo Gallery or the Canon thingy that comes with the printer.

Famous for offering help & advice

I hope they can resend them Vanessa..... that was all Greek to me! ( or maybe I should say Geek )
    From that I gather I shouldn't be frustrated when it takes a long time to download a picture when someone sends me one, at least I have a bigger picture

Good luck

Sue

Peter_uk_can

Hope it works out Vanessa.

Talking of photos and pixels, reminds me. Back in the UK in the old dial up days, I was in a genealogy forum and was chatting with a young lady who lived only some 9 miles away. The chat got around to wedding photos and she said that she had hated hers because in every shot there was a bright red telephone box. I asked her to scan and send it and I would see if I could remove it. Some few minutes after, the e-maail started downloading an e-mail. After some 15 mins it was still coming in. The lady was not on line and her phone was giving the busy signal. After nearly 45 mins the e-mail was still trying to download. So I looked her up in the phone book, got in the car and drove the 20 mins to her house.

There on the scanner was a beautiful 12 x 10 colour photo at something like 600 pixels.... size must have been 30-40 Mb, maybe more....

I took the actual photo back home, digitally removed the phone box, copied it to CD and delivered it back for her to get a new photo printed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast