cally

Default Richardson family - Staithes

Hi!
    I am new to this forum & wondered if anyone can help me with either 1851/61 census returns or parish records?

I am looking for a Robert Richardson,(my g-g-grandfather) born in Staithes in approx 1855, he also had an older brother called John born approx 1852.

In the 1871 census, they are both lodging in Guisborough, but I would really like to find parents names, siblings and an address if possible, especially as I am hoping to visit Staithes at some point this Summer.

Thanks!!
    Cally

Ann AW

Default Robert and John Richardson

Hi Cally,

In 1861 Robert (age 5) and John (age 9) were scholar orphans in the Guisbrough Workhouse both born Staithes Yorkshire. There may be workhouse records which may name their parents.
    Regards,
    Ann

cally

Default Thanks

Hi!
    Thanks for your response Ann. I found the census entry for Robert & John last week. Apparently the Guisborough workhouse records are at Teeside record office, so I've emailed them - no response yet though!

Thanks for your time,
    Cally

nina

Are you still looking for Robert Richardson from Staithes. Did you ever see this census piece

RG12; Piece: 2689; Folio 113; Page 16

cally

Hi Nina,
    thanks for your reply!
    I have already seen this Census, I'd traced him back through them to Staithes & then got stuck!
    I've since found his Mother & a possible Father & three siblings, all illegitimate.
    His Mother, grandparents & ggrandparents all hail from Liverton.

Thanks for looking though, I appreciate you taking the time,
    best wishes,
    Cally

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Richardson from Staithes

Hi Cally,

Resurrecting a very old thread here I know, but just stumbled across it whilst Googling.

I'm quite sure we are from the same lineage. I spent quite some time on Ancestry.co.uk researching my family tree, and having just gone back to it now, it looks like my tree has been deleted due to me not subscribing.

I remember from my research that my family originate in Liverton, and some went to Staithes, John being one of them. I am pretty sure John emigrated to British Columbia, as when I was researching I was trying to find the side of the family that "created" John Reginald Richardson, the Canadian-American Nuclear Physicist who I remember from my childhood as being my Grandad's "cousin". I think they were more like half-cousins actually, but my Grandma and Reg's wife, Louise used to stay in touch by letter all the time, and their family were our "American branch"

There were several siblings, and as you say, some were illegitimate. I can remember my Grandad telling me the history, and my Dad knows some of it better than I do, but I think one of the men of the family had a baby with the housekeeper.

A tangled web, and if I can recover my family tree I will refresh my memory further, but we will be related somewhere back I am sure. My Grandad was Reginald James Richardson, his Father was James Richardson, and his Father was Frederick James Richardson (I may have got those two the wrong way round actually )

Regards,

Martyn

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Managed to open my tree For some reason I had "John Richardson" in my head while typing my original reply I did get my Great, and Great-Great Grandads the wrong way around.

My Research has Robert Richardson, born 1855. Father John Richardson, Mother "Hannah" (possibly Shaw).

I may have messed up around that date, as there are two couples named John, and Hannah, a generation apart. The dates seem reasonably correct though

I think Robert had a Sister called Mary Jane Richardson (b 1848) and a Brother, James Richardson (b 1847, my Great-Great Grandad)

There are a lot of James' in the family tree, and a few other names that are passed from generation to generation. A couple of Hannahs, a couple of Lilys, and a couple of Roberts too.

It was quite difficult following records once you get back to the 1800's, especially with so many names handed down

Martyn