Amanda68

Default Joseph Samuel Oakley, born either 1824 -1826

Hi there,

I am new to this site and I hope this is the right place to ask for this informaton. I am hoping to find information on Joseph Samuel Oakley especially who his parents are and where he was born. Joseph was born either in 1824 or 1826 his wifes name is Margaret McOrmand born in 1841. I believe Josephs fathers name was Richard Oakley but i am not 100% sure. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Amanda.

Jan1954

Hello Amanda - welcome to Brit-gen,

You have not said where you think that Joseph was born. However, I had a look on Family Search and found a Joseph Samuel OAKLEY marrying a Margaret MCORMOND on 12th February 1858 in Campbell Town, Tasmania. Is that your chap?

If so, where have you looked thus far to try to establish where he came from?

Thanks,

anamarja

Amanda, you will need to give us a few more clues, especially some idea of which country we are looking for. If it is the UK, we'd need to know which general area is involved.

anamarja

Snap, Jan

Amanda68

Hi again, thank you all for your responses so far.

From Ancestry.com.au I have found Joseph Samuel Oakley born 1826 and also Joseph Oakley born 1824 I suspect are the same person. Joseph Samuel and Joseph appear to have been born in Worecestershire, England and possibly was a convict and sent on the ship Hyderabad in 1844 departing from the Downs Port arriving 19/2/1845, these records refer to Joseph Oakley.

Joseph Samuel was married to Margaret McOrmand in 1858, there children are as follows:

Margaret McOrmond (1841-)
    Married 1858 Children Caroline (1859-)
    Joseph William (1860-)
    Richard (1862-)
    Isabella Catherine (1863-1938)
    Margaret Eliza (1865-)
    Elizabeth Jane (1867-)
    John Thomas (1869-)
    Caroline (1870-)
    Alexander (1872-)
    Lilias Emily (1874-)
    Benjamin (1876-)
    Milda May (1880-)
    Herbert George (1884-)

Joseph Samuel Oakley passed away in Campbell Town Tas as did Joseph Oakley on the 8/02/1896.

Ancestry shows two different sets of parents for Joseph Samuel these are other family tree records thus part of my confusion.

One record shows Father was Richard Oakley and mother was Arabella

Another record shows father as Daniel Clay 1791 - 1869 and mother as Elizabeth Taylor 1791 - 1890.

Linc Tasmania has Joseph Samuels DOB as 1826 but unsure of the convict record as this is Joseph Oakley convict number 53428.

I hope this extra info helps.

Cheers
    Amanda.

Amanda68

Hi out there, can anyone help me find information about Joseph Samuel Oakley, based on the information in the above thread.

Cheers Amanda.