Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    SBSFamilyhistory

Default Sir Frederick Burrows

Sorry

Fred was born in 1887 in Gloucestershire and joined the staff at Ross on Wye railway station when he left school. Fred was a NUR representatve and was elected the union president in 1943.

Fred would have returned to his work at Ross in 1945, if he had not been sent to Celyon and then India but the Government at the time. I know about his time post 1945 but should appreciate it if you could provide me with information about his time working for the GWR.

I hope this helps.

Sue

SwindonLibrary

Dear Sue,

Thanks for the extra info. There was no clear mention of him in the staff magazines I checked. See below for Plan B!....

--------------------------------------------
    Dear all on B-G Forums

GWR Staff Records

Looking back at the number of posts enquiring about the GWR (and the posts on here are just the tiny tip of the iceberg as many more email us direct, write or phone), we really have to change strategy. We don't want people waiting on here for an answer and do not want to miss new questions either.
    Furthermore, many of the enquiries we are receving are not going to yield results just from searching the staff magazine.

However, there is a researcher, David Colcomb, who offers a wonderful service for those tracking down GWR staff. He uses information from the PRO and the WSRO and has several enormous private indexes he has created. He goes to truly titanic efforts for people and only asks that a small donation is made to a children's charity (details of which he will provide).

So....any further Staff enquiries about the GWR (and ONLY the GWR, not BRWR or other companies) can be sent direct to him:

Mr D. Colcomb
    38, Roundway Park,
    Devizes SN10 2ED

He is sending me an enquiry form which, when it arrives, I will scan and email to those needing help. Until then, if you contact him you need to provide all details in a clear and concise way, state what it is you would like to find out (and of of course, remember to include your own postal address!).

If in doubt feel free to contact us and we will try our best to help.

Good luck in your research!
    Swindon Collection, Central Library.

SBSFamilyhistory

Thanks very much. I will post contact him, and post info, if he is able to help me.

Sue

sailorsgirl64

Default Raymond Allen

My father, Rayond Allen, was a signalman on the GWR/British Rail after the war and worked at Hallen Marsh Junction near Bristol. Can you tell me if there is any record of the years that he did this job?

My uncle, Leonard Allen, was a fireman and firebox cleaner ... any informaton on this would be welcome.

Quite a few of my family were railway workers my great grandfather was a platelayer and so were several of his sons.

Sarah

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsgirl64 View Post
    My father, Rayond Allen, was a signalman on the GWR/British Rail after the war and worked at Hallen Marsh Junction near Bristol. Can you tell me if there is any record of the years that he did this job?

My uncle, Leonard Allen, was a fireman and firebox cleaner ... any informaton on this would be welcome.

Quite a few of my family were railway workers my great grandfather was a platelayer and so were several of his sons.

Sarah
    Dear Sarah,

We have only just spotted this! Sorry for the delay.

As said in the post just above yours, to obtain Leonard's staff records you need to either contact the National Archives, or better, contact researcher David Colcomb and see if he can help you.
    He goes to truly titanic efforts for people and only asks that a small donation is made to a children's charity (details of which he will provide).

Mr D. Colcomb
    38, Roundway Park,
    Devizes SN10 2ED

Happy new year from Swindon Libraries

MartinP

Default Arthur Shewbrook Pomeroy Obituary

Hi
    My gr grandfather, Arthur Shewbrook Pomeroy was an "Agent" for GWR in Reading having previously been a Station Master in Haverfordwest and Gloucester. He died on 25 Dec 1892. I am interested to know if there was an Obituary or mention of him in the GWR Staff Magazine.
    As I live in South Africa, it is not possible to visit the Archives.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Martin Pomeroy

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Hi
    My gr grandfather, Arthur Shewbrook Pomeroy was an "Agent" for GWR in Reading having previously been a Station Master in Haverfordwest and Gloucester. He died on 25 Dec 1892. I am interested to know if there was an Obituary or mention of him in the GWR Staff Magazine.
    As I live in South Africa, it is not possible to visit the Archives.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Martin Pomeroy
    Hello Mr Pomeroy, we found a brief mention of Arthur Pomeroy in the January edition of the GWR Magazine as follows:

We regret to record the death on the morning of Christmas, from congestion of the lungs and pleurisy, of Mr. A. Pomeroy, Goods Agent, Reading. The deceased who was a most able and promising officer, reached his 38th year, and had served in the Chief Goods Manager’s Office, Paddington, also in the Passenger Department, Haverfordwest, and as Goods Agent at Neath, Gloucester and Reading.

Regards,
    Swindon Libraries

MartinP

Quote Originally Posted by SwindonLibrary View Post
    Hello Mr Pomeroy, we found a brief mention of Arthur Pomeroy in the January edition of the GWR Magazine as follows:

We regret to record the death on the morning of Christmas, from congestion of the lungs and pleurisy, of Mr. A. Pomeroy, Goods Agent, Reading. The deceased who was a most able and promising officer, reached his 38th year, and had served in the Chief Goods Manager’s Office, Paddington, also in the Passenger Department, Haverfordwest, and as Goods Agent at Neath, Gloucester and Reading.

Regards,
    Swindon Libraries
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I really appreciate the information that you provided.
    Regards
    Martin Pomeroy

craiguito

Smile Name search

I'd be very grateful if you could let me know if there's mention of my great grandfather George Randall, a GWR railway engine driver. Originally from Llanelli, he was apparently promoted and went to work in Cirencester (or near) some time between 1904 and 1907, before going back to Llanelli.

Craig

SwindonLibrary

Just FYI - We replied to Craig via email!

Best wishes,
    Swindon Libraries.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast