Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    SwindonLibrary

Dear Ffortune,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I would certainly recommend checking if there are surviving staff records at Kew. While we have an extensive collection of GWR books and material - including the staff magazines - the only personal information we could supply would be via the usual sources (census, GRO, directories and similar).

There is a book you may want to check out - "Great Western Apprentice - Swindon in the 30s" by Hugh Freebury (1985). It may well help provide a more vivid picture of your Grandfather's life.

thanks,

Swindon Libraries.

cathy1969

Default Any records?

My G Grandfather George Joseph Willsher worked for G.W.R as a carraige examiner. He was born in Paddington in 1894 & died in 1931. I know he was in WW1 but he had left the forces & had returned to work as a carriage examiner before he died. He was only 37 when he died, his death was caused by gassing in WW1.

I was wondering if there were any records for him & his work?

Cathy

SwindonLibrary

Hello cathy1969,

As with many others in your position it is best to see what staff records exist at the National Archives (see previous posts above for details). Aside from that you seem to have determined all of the major landmarks of his life.

Have you tried looking for WWI pension records and medal rolls on Ancestry.com? There are at least 2 George J. Willshers listed.

However, as he died whilst still at the works, I will check the GWR Staff Magazine for 1931 to see if they printed an obituary. I will let you know the results!

Best wishes,

Local Studies & Family History
    Swindon Libraries

SwindonLibrary

cathy1969,

I have just checked all obituaries in the GWR Staff Magazine for 1931 with no luck. Of course, it is very hard to know what percentage of staff deaths appeared in the magazine but it seems to mention staff of all ranks and occupations (but the "top brass" seem guaranteed a mention!).

Regards,

Swindon Libraries

bridgy

Default Head Goods Porter with GNR

Hello there
    Thank you so much for your kind offer. It is appreciated. I'm wondering if you can find anything on William KELLY who lived in Lisburn. On the 1911 Census he is shown as being 55 years of age and a 'Head Goods Porter with GNR (I)'. He and his family lived at 2 Ballynahinch Road, Lisburn and I have a death date of September 1930 for William.
    Is there any mention of William in your records? If so, I'd love to see them.
    Thank you so much once again.
    Regards
    Jan

cathy1969

Many Thanks SwindonLibrary, I have found 2 medal records for him & his discharge papers. I will have a look at Kew to see if there is any record there.

Thanks again
    Cathy

Ffortune

Thanks Swindon I will start at Kew.
    regards ffortune

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by bridgy View Post

Hello there
    Thank you so much for your kind offer. It is appreciated. I'm wondering if you can find anything on William KELLY who lived in Lisburn. On the 1911 Census he is shown as being 55 years of age and a 'Head Goods Porter with GNR (I)'. He and his family lived at 2 Ballynahinch Road, Lisburn and I have a death date of September 1930 for William.
    Is there any mention of William in your records? If so, I'd love to see them.
    Thank you so much once again.
    Regards
    Jan
    Hello Jan,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Sadly we only have records for the GWR (The Great Western Railway), although records for the GNR (Great Northern Railway) can be approached in the same way. Again, check if the National Archives hold staff reords and track down the local studies library or county record office that specializes in that company. They may hold staff magazines and other ephemera that can help you.

Personally I would start another thread in this section and copy your enquiry into that, as there may well be some BritGen members who are experts in this field.

Also, you could try National Railway Museum

Best wishes,

Swindon Libraries

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by cathy1969 View Post
    Many Thanks SwindonLibrary, I have found 2 medal records for him & his discharge papers. I will have a look at Kew to see if there is any record there.

Thanks again
    Cathy
    Excellent - good luck in your research.

Swindon Libraries.

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Ffortune View Post
    Thanks Swindon I will start at Kew.
    regards ffortune
    Good luck Ffortune!

We have heard of some that have struggled to obtain records at Kew so we would be interested in BritGen members' experiences in this matter - did you find anything? Was it an easy process? What did the records tell you? Was it worth it!?

Swindon Libraries.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast