Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    SwindonLibrary

David,
    Looking at the GRO we see he died in Staffordshire. We have had a quick look on the British Newspaper Archive but nothing obvious. The GWR staff magazine is always very quiet about its accidents. Perhaps you should contact Dudley and see what newspapers they hold for that period: https://www.dudley.gov.uk/resident/li...local-history/
    Last edited by SwindonLibrary; 16-04-2014 at 9:35 AM. Reason: add name

watkinsrebel1

Default Albert Bradford

Thank you very much for getting back to me. It may well be that Albert died quite naturally & there is no 'mystery' to it but thought I would ask the question as he was so young & his brother William did die of an accident on the railway the previous year.
    Many thanks yet again
    David Watkins

Martinwwhite

Hi,

This may be in the wrong place, and may also be a long shot!

I know my father, Alan Frederick White, worked for GWR based at Langport as a Relief, meaning that he covered several jobs at several stations around the Langport and Taunton area. He left the railway shortly before Beeching, so I would guess 1960-61. Any records on my father would be appreciated.

Now, my grandfather, William White, is another topic. My sister and I both seem to think that he was the stationmaster at Langport East. However I've found nothing that supports that, or indeed anything that even confirms he worked for the railway at all. He died in 1938 aged 39. Now I think about it, that seems young for a stationmaster? William's father was a cooper, so I know it wasn't him. In any case Langport East didn't open until 1906.

GregHowes

Default Iknow what happened to Ernest Benney later

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson View Post
    What a wonderful offer - I hope you don't live to regret it when you get inundated with requests ....!!

I wonder if there is anything about two of my grandmother's brothers in the magazines; one certainly worked for GWR, the other probably did:

Ernest William Benney, born 1879, Truro - working as a "railway engine stoker, Great Western Railways" according to the 1911 census, and living at that time in Exeter. Finding him (and my grandmother!) in Exeter in 1911 was quite unexpected, since I had not hear anything from my grandmother about her living there; presumably that was something to do with his job.

The other brother, Harold Francis Benney, born 1884, Truro, was working as a "railway engine fireman" in 1911, and living in Stroud. That was not such a surprise, since my father had always said he moved away from Truro, but then lost track of him and his family.

Any information would be gratefully received!
    Thanks

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Do you GregHowes? Any information gladly accepted! I have lots of information about his siblings, but very little about him! I will send you a private message with my email address in case you do not want to put information about people on the open forum!

Thanks
    Barbara Wilkinson
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

Llanigraham

Good evening Swindon Library.
    I'm hoping you can help me trace my paternal grand father, Victor George Davis.
    I have a copy of the GWR Register entry showing he started work for the GWR as a Stores Issuer on 10 August 1914, pay no 11171, and was still there in 1921 and 1924, but after that the trace goes cold.
    I have a possible cross reference to a Death Grant from the ASoRS in 1944 for a V Davis, ganger, from the Caerphilly Branch.
    From family "stories" I suspect he may have died sometime after about 1935.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    do you have any information in there about a death at Watford Gap Station on 1/3/1901 of Charles Pearce, Engineer Fitter?
    Thanks

Good morning Virgolizzy, and welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. You may not have noticed that this is a rather old thread and the immediately preceding threads are about 2 years old.

If you already have the death certificate, have you looked for newspaper reports?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Good morning Virgolizzy, and welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. You may not have noticed that this is a rather old thread and the immediately preceding threads are about 2 years old.

If you already have the death certificate, have you looked for newspaper reports?
    Hi
    I was hoping that the Swindon Experts may still be available. His accident was at Watford Station on 1/3/1901 & he was at work & fell between the carriages of the 2.21pm train and was struck by front wheel of brake van, coroners inquest held n 4/3/1901.
    I am enquiring re the coroners office, O have not fund anything in local papers to date but will keep looking. I was wondering of there was anything at the Swindon records

Liz.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Am not sure if this is technically too recent a date for your records, but if can help it be much appreciated?
    My father, Donald Stewart Gabriel, was as far as aware a guard for the GWR (Swindon) and I believe he was ran over by a train whilst collecting his wages, presumably at Swindon station, in 1969. I am trying to find out for sure how he died, and where may be buried, as his parents were in Swansea and i do not know if he was buried localy in Swindon, or his remains returned to swansea? If you have any records on this it would be much appreciated.( My mother constantly refuses to give me any info at all on my father or his side of the family, so as a last resort i thought i'd see if you could shed any light at all?)

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast