Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    SwindonLibrary

Just to say we have spotted your message Joe and will take a look at next opportunity.
    With those dates it is only really his retirement that may appear - or his death as an obituary.

Graultte

Hi Swindon Library

I am looking for any detail on William Skellett - Based at Paddington Station as a Horsekeeper
    Started 1888 not sure when he finished was commended in August 1911
    Also fined for
    Being absent from duty in oct 1889
    Moving a wagon without assistance which led to a horse being fatally injured july 1894

Any additional information would be fabulous

Kind regards

Kate

SwindonLibrary

Kate

I have checked through the staff commendations in the GWR staff magazine for July - December 1911 and unfortunately can find no record of William Skellett. The magazine does not list fines so the other incidences would not be recorded.

Your best bet may be to search through the staff records. I suggest reading through the other posts in this thread and finding out how to track down his GWR staff record at the National Archives.

Regards

Swindon Library

SwindonLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by joehudd View Post
    May I ask if there are any entries for a Henry Ashford in the staff magazine .he was born 8th january 1849 and he joined gwr on the 9th of february 1865. he went through many promotions from what i have seen of his records and many ummm situations.census records show him as a railway engine driver. he retired on the 5th of may 1915. his son was also a railway engine driver from what census records say but i cant find his records.
    thanks joe
    Hi Joe,

Can we just check if someone has got back to you already?
    We think a colleague may have replied to you via email but are not sure.
    I have justg checked the 1915 GWR Magazine from May onwards with no success.
    Have you tried contacting David Colcomb?

Swindon Collection
    Central Library

johnmears

My father Samuel Charles Mears joined GWR on 27 June 1927. His employee number was 85206 aand he started as a porter at great Bedwyn. I know that for a while he was a messenger boy in London and by 1932 he was a porter at Windsor Station. During the war I believe he acted as a guard on trains bring back deceased soldiers from France - which caused him to have a breakdown - and after the war he returned to the parcels office at Windsor station. He did not believe in nationalisation and resigned in 1947.
    Can you please tell me how I can verify these facts and where I might find more information.
    John Mears

SwindonLibrary

Hello John,
    If you read back through this thread there are several very helpful posts that can help you track down staff records. Try these avenues first and if you are still stuck then post again.
    Best wishes!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I m looking for anything on William Abraham Wilcox who was a railway signalman from 1901 onwards, probably a few years before. Do you / would you have any information on him? i think he worked in the Birmingham area in 1911 and Water Orton in 1901 so that might come under LMS rather than GWR but may feature ina more general publication.

SwindonLibrary

Hi,
    Again, we ask if you could take a read through this thread first, in which there can be found lots of useful information. We suggest starting by trying to obtain whatever staff records survive. Take a look back over the rest of the posts on this topic and see if it helps you get started.

Best wishes

Flutterbys

Red face GWR

Hello. My great grandfather William Darvill was a forman for the GWR in THE 1800S and my grandfather Henry William Darvill
    As a child I was taken to see the Pulman carriages with the family name in gold letters on the sides
    I have not been able to find out more and would be very interested if anyone can enlighten me please.

Loves to help with queries

Hi

https://www.britishrailways.info/pullman_cars.htm

I found a list of existing pullmans but i can't find any male names on the early ones, though there are a few on the recent builds.

It might be possible to get further info from this group (email address on page 2) https://www.
    semgonline.com/coach/coupe/PCP2011.pdf or the National Railway Museum at York.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast