Hello all!

I am posting this message on behalf of myself and my colleagues who work in the Local and Family History section of Swindon Central Library. We think the forum is very impressive and have noticed the many enquiries posted in the Wiltshire section that we could have helped with.
We have decided to register to offer our assistance with some of the enquiries.
We hope that this proves useful (and hope that the mods and admin are happy with this!). We will try and monitor the Wiltshire section and elsewhere and post when we can help.

Very best wishes, and good luck in your research.

Swindon Collection (Local and Family History)
Central Library
Regent Circus
Swindon
Wiltshire
SN1 1QG

Phone: (01793) 463238
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.swindon.gov.uk/libraries/

Our area is the Borough of Swindon (which includes Old and New Swindon, Blunsdon St Andrew, Broad Blunsdon, Castle Eaton, Chiseldon, Hannington, Highworth, Hinton Parva, Inglesham, Liddington, Lydiard Tregoze/Tregoz, Rodbourne Cheney, Sevenhampton, South Marston, Stratton St. Margaret (inc Lower Stratton and Kingsdown), Stanton Fitzwarren, Wanborough, Wroughton). In addition we collect Cricklade, Lydiard Millicent, Purton & Wootton Bassett.

We hold, amongst others, the following records:-

• Complete GRO fiche (BMD) 1837-1999 England and Wales
  • Complete Overseas GRO (around 50 sets of info)
  • Complete UK IGI
  • parish registers and bishop's transcripts on fiche for all parishes in Swindon Borough.
  • WFHS fiche for all available parishes, and all WFHS publications.
  • All local Kellys directories, street, trade and phoen directories.
  • Electoral rolls (voters lists) 1945 to date.
  • All available transcriptions of parish regsiters.
  • Poll books back to the 18th century.
  • Census records for Swindon & Wiltshire 1841-1901
  • Full free access to Ancestry Library edition.
  • Complete runs of all local newspapers on microfilm (Main paper is Swindon Evening Advertiser).
  • And of course we collect all available books, leaflets, posters, maps, ephemera and photographs for the Borough.