Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A fountain of knowledge

Question Looking for a book

please.

I'm trying to locate a copy of "A Memoir of Maj. Gen. Sir Denis Pack" by Denis R. Pack-Beresford, University Press, Dublin, 1908. I haven't been able to find any library anywhere that will own up to having a copy.

Sir Denis served in the Peninsula and elsewhere, and commanded a brigade at Waterloo. He had a rather exciting career.

Thanks for any help,

Peggy

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    please.

I'm trying to locate a copy of "A Memoir of Maj. Gen. Sir Denis Pack" by Denis R. Pack-Beresford, University Press, Dublin, 1908. I haven't been able to find any library anywhere that will own up to having a copy.

Sir Denis served in the Peninsula and elsewhere, and commanded a brigade at Waterloo. He had a rather exciting career.
    You might try the Naval and Military Press, who have a large list of books, originals and reprints:

Other than that and the online second hand dealers, I'll bar it in mind when I have a browse in the second-hand shops that I use.

Geoffers

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Geoffers!

I have the Naval and Military Press site bookmarked, and wish I could afford to order a few dozen items they have.

Some years back a librarian at the British Library did some looking for me, and she couldn't find the book in any library either. There were probably not many printed.

Peggy

nemisis

Default ray,

ref looking for a book,have you contacted the bodlian at oxford

AnnB

Hello Peggy
    I'm probably telling you something you already know, but have you seen the the page of Southampton University's web site at https://www.archives.lib.soton.ac.uk/guide/MS296.shtml They seem to have quite a lot of Sir Denis's papers in their special collections
    Best wishes
    Ann

A fountain of knowledge

Not in the Bod, as far as I can find out. I did find that there is a signed copy in a private, subscription-only library in NI.

Googling did turn up the Southampton University collection, Ann, and I've been in touch with them. They have some very interesting stuff, but they have a lot of it, not fully indexed. One of these days. . . .

Thanks,

Peggy

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs up Update - Found

Call off the search. :-)

Found it, in a library in Switzerland. Copy obtained through the efforts & generosity of a distant cousin.

Aside from letters to his wife, there is only one family letter quoted in the book. That one was to my GGG-GF. (I was gobsmacked.) The family info section gave me new info, including additional siblings for my GG-GF.

Peggy

MikeG47

Peggy
    I have an ancestor who was an officer in Pack's Portuguese Brigade between 1810 and 1813 and and would dearly love to see a copy of Pack's memoir. Does the book describe details of his campaigns? Where in Switzerland did you find the copy?
    Mike