aeracura

Default Sisson/Poulteney/Docker

Hi,

I'm having trouble with this branch of my family tree.. My 4x great grandfather was John Sisson who was born in Lincolnshire in 1811, he married a Mary Poulteney born in 1815 (not sure where)... they married in 1838 in Rushton, Staffordshire. John's parents where William Sisson and Ann Docker, I don't have any further information on either of them. I would love ANY help at all in locating any further info...

thanks

~ jo

v.wells

GRO Marriage Index

1838 Stamford vol 14 p 773 3Q shows John Sisson and Mary Stapleton on the same page. She may have been married before

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you checked out the Lincolnshire Archives... they have tons of stuff in their pages and you may find some help there.

Sue

janbooth

Default John SISSON & Mary POULTENEY

Rushton, Staffs comes under the registration district of Leek. I have looked on the GRO Index but there is no marriage registration for either of their names in Leek district in 1838 but it is very soon after registration began (Sept 1837) and may well not have been registered at all.

If you are sure that the marriage took place in Rushton, then your best option is to look at the parish registers of Rushton which should give you Mary's father and his occupation which will enable you to trace her back.

Are they this couple in the 1851 census of Leek:

HO107/2008, folio 393, page 6
    Obertons? Bank

John SISSON Head Mar 44 Labourer Lincolnshire Louth
    Mary do Wife Mar 40 Silk Winder Staffordshire Leek
    William do Son 10 Silk Worker do do
    John do Son 8 do Lancashire Orton
    Elizabeth do Daur 6 Scholar Staffordshire Leek
    Samuel do Son 5 do do do
    Lucy Ann do Daur 1 do do

If so, there is an extracted baptism on Hugh Wallis's IGI site of a Mary Smith POLTNEY on 17 May 1812 at Leek, father Samuel mother Lucy which given the names of John & Mary's youngest two children on the 1851 could be indicative that these are your Mary's parents. There are two other siblings shown, Lydia baptised 31 March 1826 and Samuel 14 January 1824 - big gap there, I wonder if they went somewhere else during that time.

There is a marriage on Family History Online (v good resource for Staffordshire & other records) on 12 November 1810 at St Edward Leek of a Samuel POULTNEY, bachelor, & Lucy SMITH, spinster, both residing at Leek St Edward.

1851 census shows Samuel & Lucy at Leek:

HO107/2008, folio 256, page 40
    London Road

Samuel POULTNEY Head Mar 63 Lab Day Staffordshire Leek
    Lucy do Wife Mar 62 do do
    Thomas do Son U 33 Lab Day do do
    Joseph do Son U 18 do do do
    Lucy CLOWES Grand dau 13 Silk Winder do do
    Samuel POULTNEY Grand son 9 Scholar do do

HTH

Janet

aeracura

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

and yes Janet, that's my family! Lucy Ann was my great great Grandmother who later emigrated to Australia with her husband and set up a Furniture Removal business on the goldfields in Ballarat where the Eureka Stockade Rebellion took place - the family still resides here You've given me so much. I truly believe this forum is the best place for family history nuts on the web!

~ jo

janbooth

Default POULTNEY family

We aim to please (vbg). The parish registers of Leek have been filmed by the LDS - as far as I know the period you will be interested in is not for sale - so if you have an LDS Family History Centre near you (searchable on Family Search website), you can hire the appropriate microfilm/s to view in situ there.

Good luck and let us know if we can help further.

Janet