Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default Research Signposts

For help with searching the TNA online catalogue, check out these new Research Signposts, launched today by TNA. This makes searching for individuals by name a whole lot easier

Kerrywood

Geoffers

I've noted a couple of messages recently on the forums from people who still find TNA's web-site a daunting prospect.

TNA has recently revamped the site - I don't think everything they have done is an improvement, but we've got what we've got and have to get on with it.

So, I've gone through the messages I originally posted at the start of this thread and updated the advice and links so that hopefully they all work and you can find your way around.

It is worthwhile sitting down with a cuppa in a comfy chair and having a good browse as to what is there - it's free to browse through things and you won't (fingers crossed) break it by having a look.

If anything is not covered and you'd like it included, please reply to this thread and I'll see if I can edit things to help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    I've noted a couple of messages recently on the forums from people who still find TNA's web-site a daunting prospect.

TNA has recently revamped the site - I don't think everything they have done is an improvement, but we've got what we've got and have to get on with it.

So, I've gone through the messages I originally posted at the start of this thread and updated the advice and links so that hopefully they all work and you can find your way around.

It is worthwhile sitting down with a cuppa in a comfy chair and having a good browse as to what is there - it's free to browse through things and you won't (fingers crossed) break it by having a look.

If anything is not covered and you'd like it included, please reply to this thread and I'll see if I can edit things to help.
    Thank you Geoffers.
    I was even tempted to have a browse of TNA site. I found one item - and then rapidly went off exploring about ten other sites trying to find further information on this person . So I have a feeling that it might take me some time to go through the other 1,162 results I found for my name.
    Pam

Geoffers

Default Your Archives

I have missed something off this thread which is important to know about. I was reminded of this by Kerrywood's thread (thanks Kerrywood) about Census street indexes.

Your Archives

Start at TNA's homepage look at the horizontal bar near the top of the screen. From left to right it reads:

About us - Education - Records - Information Management - Shop online

Click on 'records' and scroll down to click on the link 'News articles from Your Archives'

Alternatively, from TNA's homepage scroll down to the foot of the page and on the right, you'll see 'Websites' there is a direct link to Your Archives'

The homepage of 'Your Archives' explains its purpose
    "These pages are for you to contribute your knowledge of archival sources held by The National Archives and by other archives throughout the UK"

Geoffers

Particularly helpful for those new to research, or for whom the rest of this thread is incomprehensible; The National Archives now has a series of animated guides which help to explain how the records are organised, how to record various documents; and one which may help many "Using the Catalogue."

Do have a look at these guides, they are all quite short and easy to understand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12