Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Resurrecting A Thread. I have a photo from A & G Taylor on the day of my great Great grandparents' wedding in Durham 1869.
    Interestingly, the name at the bottom says "Photographers To The King & Queen"
    Strange considering this is 1869.

Famous for offering help & advice

The Cleveland FHS have a list of photographers known to have been active in their area, with dates. The earliest I could see for Taylors was 1884, though the list only contains what has been found and submitted. It can be seen at https://clevelandfhs.org.uk/free-onli...photographers/

For your photo, the mention of the King and Queen mean it can't be earlier than 1901, but if you look carefully, the photo in the Taylors mount seems to be a copy of an earlier photo - which presumably is the one dating from 1869. This is in a mount with rounded corners to the aperture, and possibly also in a frame - the shiny bar at the bottom.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That makes sense thanks. I also thought the frame had to be Edwardian. I imagine it is either a copy of a photo made by Taylors and placed in the frame in the 1900s or it is the original photo which either had no frame or lost its original.

It could also be the photo & frame were commissioned by their children in the reign of George V as a memorial as the wife died in 1909 and the husband in 1910.

I wasn't aware they had the ability to copy photos as far back as 1910 but then i know nothing about photography.

The photo I was given to scan was in a cardboard mount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12