Thread: BUGDEN

natalie_skinner

Default BUGDEN

I am looking for information on the Bugdens. John Bugden born around 1848 married either Hannah Clara Blake or Anna Clara? They had a daughter Nellie (my great-grandmother) in 1888 and a son John Bugden in 1879 I think they may have had another son because I think Nellie's two brothers died on the Lusitania. If anyone has any information about the Bugdens or where I could find information and the deaths on the Lusitania it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

John BUGDEN married Hannah Clara BLAKE
    December quarter 1882 Thanet
    Vol 2a page 1564
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

1901 census: RG13; Piece: 821; Folio: 146; Page: 20
    5 Royal Terrace, Margate

John BUGDEN 38 Brickmaker's Contractor b Ramsgate
    Hannah 43 b Surrey, Thames Ditton
    Nellie 13 b Margate
    William 10 b Margate
    George 7 b Margate
    Alfred 4 b Margate
    William FRIEND brother-in-law 42 Master Mariner b Ramsgate
    (next page)
    Louisa FRIEND sister 41 b Ramsgate
    Louisa May FRIEND niece 10 b Ramsgate

There was another John BUGDEN with a wife Caroline who had a large family, including a John b 1879, so I think he may not be in Nellie's family.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Foad Family Tree

Default Bugden

Full Name John Bugden Hannah Clara Blake
    Date of Marriage 21 October 1882
    Age 20 24
    Profession Brickmaker ?
    Father James Bugden John Blake
    Fathers Profession Brickmaker Labourer
    Parish Church St Lawrence
    Parish of Marriage Thanet Witnesses William John Blake & Susannah Bugden

The children were all baptised at St John's in Margate while John is recorded as a Brickmaker living at 12 Buckingham Road.

Clara Susannah 15 March 1885
    Nellie Louisa 8 April 1888
    John 14 September 1890
    Alfred Charles 11 October 1896

johnvwells

Default Bugdens in Thanet

I am pleased to find anyone researching Bugdens. I certainly have the 1882 marriage of John Bugden and Hannah Clara Blake in my research records. I have most of Kent FHS CDs. I have a large number of Bugden records in Kent, London, Wiltshire and Dorset. I believe that the first Bugdens in Thanet were Thomas & Mary Bugden who arrived in Ramsgate about 1788. It is possible that they came from London. I haven't established a family link to them yet, my ancestors first show in Marden in 1714, and I am trying to find where they came from. I have not made a connection between the Thanet and Marden Bugdens. I am interested in connecting with anyone researching Bugdens.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello

My dad was Ray Bugden and his family lived in Kent - originally from Romney Marsh. We lived in Woodchurch, Kent as did a lot of our near family. We emigrated to Australia in 1967. From my very brief research - the family originated in Huntingdon in the town of Buckden which is also called Bugden. Would love to hear any information that you may have.

johnvwells

Default Bugdens

Hi lbugden in Adelaide. I am in touch with a Dennis Bugden in Adelaide!
    I wonder if your family stems from the Thanet Bugdens rather than the Marden Bugdens? If so we are probably not connected unless earlier than when I have records. As mentioned before the earliest Bugden record I have been able to find anywhere in Kent was Sarah Bugden (died 1714) wife of John. Recently I found what I believe is their marriage in East Farleigh in 1707, shown as Brigden, probably a mis-read.
    Hope this helps. Best wishes

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi John - thanks for the info

I was aware that there are other Bugdens in Adelaide but I don't believe that we are closely related. The surname is not common in Australia although in Adelaide the surname Budgen is quite well known. Not sure if there was a spelling error some time back?

Dads family was from Dymchurch and the Romney area. I was aware of Sarah Bugden through the census.

Regards

Lorna