racing girl

Default So What Happened To Dover?

I'm working my way through the Coastguard records downloaded from NA and I've made it back to the first record, 001.pdf. The last entry (in 003.pdf) for my chap reads like this:

Berwick
    20 Nov 1820 from Dover, Boatman, 1 Dec 1824 to Staithes

So I've looked all the way through 001.pdf, read it page by page in fact..... but there are no entries for Dover! Just in case you were wondering... 002.pdf seems to be for 1816 - through to about 1818, 001.pdf is for 1816 - 1822. I also looked in 002.pdf but I can't find my chap either. Seem to have ground to a halt! Where are the Dover records?

Brenda

Geoffers

Sorry - I don't know; but anything in the research guide on coastguards?

Maybe try sending an e-mail to TNA to ask if they know of some missing records which are not mentioned in their research guide or catalogue?

Searching TNA's catalogue specifically for 'Dover' in class ADM175 only throws up one hit ADM175/10 covering 1862-66

These are all the pieces in ADM175 - are there any obvious pieces missing from those you have downloaded?

racing girl

Thanks Geoff, I'll have another look at the research guide to see if anything pops up.

Brenda

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Brenda

I've found in the past that when a man joined, not from the Royal Navy, but straight from a civilian career, the first entry normally relates to where he was resident i.e. Dover.

Martin

racing girl

You're quite right Martin, I hadn't considered the fact that he might not be in the records..... still doesn't explain why the Dover stations aren't listed though.

Brenda
    Last edited by racing girl; 12-02-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: typo

Hi Brenda

To understand why Dover is not listed, you have to go back to when England was under threat of invasion by Napoleon. Although not known at the time, the period of greatest threat had past when the Preventative Water Guard (PWG) was established in 1809. These men were responsible for patrolling the inshore costal waters and were the direct forerunners of the Coast Guard Service. Offshore patrolling remained the responsibility of the Revenue Cruisers (RC).

However, because of concerns over their efficiency Captain Joseph McCulloch RN proposed the creation of a unified service to guard the coast of Kent, under the direct control of the Royal Navy. This was to become the Coastal Blockade Service and covered the coast from Sheerness in Kent, to Seaford in Sussex, unifying the activities of the RN, PWG and RCs’. This service, created in 1816, proved to be extremely efficient, but very unpopular.

In 1822 the Coast Guard service itself was established based on the PWG, but it was not until 1831 that the Coastal Blockade Service was finally absorbed into the Coast Guard Service. Therefore, the new Coast Guard Service did not include Dover until this date, and perhaps explains why Dover is not covered in the early records.

Regards

Martin

Having re-read my post I realised that I have made a small mistake in the text, but despite my best efforts cannot see how to edit my reply

So the last sentence should read:

...... and perhaps explains why Dover is not covered in the early records.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854 View Post
    Having re-read my post I realised that I have made a small mistake in the text, but despite my best efforts cannot see how to edit my reply

So the last sentence should read:

...... and perhaps explains why Dover is not covered in the early records.

Martin

Editing by members is time-limited but Mods can always make changes. I've fixed it for you.
    Lesley

racing girl

That's very interesting Martin, thanks for the explanation, I'm glad we've got you around.

Brenda