Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default transported for 7 years

I've recently discovered that an ancestor of mine was sentenced to 7 years transportation in 18/05/1827 for the theft of pigeons. His prison record states that he was 'delivered on board the Retribution Sheerness'. Is there any way I can find out what happened to him after that. His name is John Northwood, one of many in my tree so I'm not sure if he came back or not.He doesn't seem to have had any children born after 1827 with his wife but the Northwoods appear several times in the gaol records and Quarter Sessions charged with bastardy so I can't really be certain.The best indication that he didn't return is the lack of prison records for him after this date.
    How likely was it that a prisoner would return after serving their sentence? It also doesn't say on the prison record where he was sent.At the bottom it says 'discharged 19/07/1827' but presumably that refers to him being put on board the ship rather than being freed.

Geoffers

First thing, can you locate your chap on the Convict Transportation Register?

Go to TNA's web-site
    and scroll down to search the above mentioned database (It's 8th in the list)

If you can get to TNA at Kew - you might look at the quarterly returns of prisoners in hulks - these cover Retribution 1825-1830

These registers may also prove interesting in HO9 - Retribution, Sheerness

Jan1954

I see that he is mentioned on Victorian Crime and Punishment.

Usually, if prisoners were transported, they had to pay their own way to return to Blighty.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Angelaj, I found this in the New South Wales State Records
    Under Certificates of Freedom this entry could be your man.

John Northwood, arrived on vessel Florentia,1828 . certificate of freedom no 34/1201.issued 29 Sep 1834.
    The page address below.
    Hugh.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx

Geoffers

Further to Hugh's useful response, this then points to the transportation register of the Florentia which looks to have sailed 14 Aug 1827

and the medical journal of the Florentia

Copies of entries may enhance your research.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've just found out that his brother William was transported for life in 1830 so I think they'll be keeping me busy for a while.

Hugh Thompson

Angelaj, (hi Geoffers and Jan) I think this will be your William, arrived on board the Isabella 1832. under index to convict pardons, the first one was a CP pardon on 1st Oct 1841, and then a RW pardon on 25th May 1860.
    Page address,
    https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx

I'll have a look and see if I can find what the CP and RW stand for, I expect that the CP would be for conditional pardon.
    Hugh.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    I'll have a look and see if I can find what the CP and RW stand for, I expect that the CP would be for conditional pardon.
    Hugh.
    RW = Royal Warrant?

Hugh Thompson

Found them,good hunting.
    Hugh.
    CP.Conditional pardon granted convicts freedom as long as they remained in the Colony.
    RW. Royal Warrant from the Monarch authorising the grant of pardon.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson
    I think this will be your William, arrived on board the Isabella 1832.
    Again

Convict register - Isabella HO11/8/233
    Medical Jounral - Isabella ADM101/36/4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast