Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hugh Thompson

Good one Geoffers, why can't I find my people this quick

Again, many thanks to you all. This is all new for me, all of my other convicts have been in the UK! It would've taken me a lot longer to find what I was looking for on my own. I'll add it to my list of things for Kew, although I suspect by the time I get around to going it'll all be available online anyway.

I've since found a reference to John occupying land mentioned in his father's will of 1838 so it looks like he made it back. I wonder if his wife waited for him?

Feen

Default General query on transportation

I remember hearing, possibly at school, that as Australia became increasingly developed and stories found their way back to the UK of freed cons doing well for themselves, there was a rash of crimes committed by people hoping to get themselves transported. This may have contributed to the ending of transportation as a punishment for criminals. Does anyone know if this is true?

Naughty 3 x great-uncle Fred was convicted of attempted forgery in (I think) 1860 and according to the newspaper reports, his "friends" (which presumably included his family) hoped that he would be transported. One hopes for Fred's sake that was because they hoped once he'd served his sentence he could build a better life out there, and not cos he was an embarrassment they wanted removed from their doorstep .

For the record Fred didn't get transported. On his release from jail he tried to murder a bank manager and got banged up for life

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Northwood

Hi Angelicaj
    Since your post was 2009 you have probably got all your info but now but here goes. John was one of my rellies so I can fill you in on his antics. Christened 21 Feb 1796 in Maulden, died 19 April 1869 in Maulden. He married Elizabeth Swepstone 3 November 1814 in Maulden. He was a regular at the Bedford Courthouse before they lost patience and sent him to Australia. He arrived in Sydney, NSW, 14 April 1828 aboard "Florentia". He was given a Ticket of Leave in 1831 which meant he could find employment and pretty much travel at will. He got his Certificate of Freedom 29 September 1834 and returned to England.
    He had kids by four women, one of whom was actually his wife. The other women were Ann Dudley, Ann Robinson and Letitia Alderton. The children were all interspersed chronologically between the women. I shudder to think how many were born while he was out here.
    His brother William was also a regular visitor to the Courthouse. He arrived here 22 July 1832 aboard "Isabella". Apparently he behaved admirably once he was here and ended up a successful businessman in the colony owning several properties in Sydney. He received a Conditional Pardon 1 October 1841 which meant he was a totally free man with the only condition being that he could not return to England, However he got a Royal Pardon Warrant 25 May 1860 which enabled him to return to England where he died 2 February 1871 in Shefford. While out here he married Lucy Sinfield and had two children both of whom died out here before he returned to England with Lucy.
    If you would like to know more about the Northwoods my tree is on Rootsweb where my tree is called wazzalox. It is open to view by anybody.
    Cheers from Oz
    Warren

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12