Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by PAULMUNCEY View Post

Is it possible that she emigrated.

Yours Paul

I suspect Paul that with Florence anything was possible. She could have been living in the UK under another name.

There were 43 Florences with the same date of birth in the 1939 census. It's not such an impossible task for you to work through each one and see if you can rule them out.

I have found a later newspaper report, 23 march 1938.
    She was sentenced to six months imprisonment, but doesn't say where she was sent.
    Her name in court is now quoted as Florence Doris Mary Ann Coggins, not Florence Treasa Coggins as on birth certificate.
    I did check the Florence's in the 1939 register but non seem to fit the bill so I still do not know where to go from here.

I wondered if Florence may have gone back to live with her father Bertie Fray after all she had gone through, so checked the 1939 register.
    What I found was reference to Alice Mary Fray, who I do not know.
    I now have Bertie's death cert that includes the entry of A. M. Fray widow of deceased.
    I cannot find anything about this lady, or a remarriage for Bertie after the death of his wife Agnes in 1914.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I wondered if Florence may have gone back to live with her father Bertie Fray after all she had gone through, so checked the 1939 register.
    What I found was reference to Alice Mary Fray, who I do not know.
    I now have Bertie's death cert that includes the entry of A. M. Fray widow of deceased.
    I cannot find anything about this lady, or a remarriage for Bertie after the death of his wife Agnes in 1914.
    Paul, I have removed the duplicate of this post to avoid confusion and keep everything in one thread.

When and where did Bertie die?
    Have you checked the Probate Index (make sure you select the 1858-1996 section!) to see if Bertie left a will.
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
    Fingers crossed that he did, and his widow was an executor, because that would hopefully give us her names, not just initials.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Pam keeping me on track again, just checked as you said, no result.
    he died 1943 in Beckenham.

Alice May Fray died 1971, Bromley registration district. Date of birth 5 December 1885. She is in the Probate Index.
    Though only for an administration so I don't know how much more information you'll get from that.

Pam

Alice's second name in her death registration definitely says May, as does her Probate Index entry.

The 1939 Register entry has Mary added in green ink, with 310 written in the left-hand column. Green ink and 310 are usually synonomous with entries made from the death registration, and I think the clerk just made a careless error and wrote Mary by mistake.

Something to keep you out of mischief for a couple of weeks :
    trace all the Alice May's with birth registrations in December quarter 1885 and March quarter 1886. I'd concentrate on ones in the London/Kent/Surrey etc area first.

Pam

I have found Alice M Parsons, married a Fray in 1919 in Bromley ,approx 5 years after the death of Agnes, Bertie Frederick's first wife but the name in the records' is William B Fray, not Bertie Frederick.
    Can't find William B in the 1939 register or a death registration that is obvious.
    Am I on the wrong track or did the water just get muddy again??

I have found Alice M Parsons, married a Fray in 1919 in Bromley ,approx 5 years after the death of Agnes, Bertie Frederick's first wife but the name in the records' is William B Fray, not Bertie Frederick.
    Can't find William B in the 1939 register or a death registration that is obvious.
    Am I on the wrong track or did the water just get muddy again??
    Possibly, and possibly are the answers.

I often quote my grandfather who married as Thomas Frederick though he was born Thomas William, so it's possible that Bertie changed his names around. The only way you'll be able to prove one way or t'other is by sending for the marriage certificate, and seeing what details are given for his father.
    Depends whether you think the query is worth spending money on.

If it's any help, there is no William B Fray birth registration between 1870 and 1910. Just a Bertie William in 1908, though there are quite a few plain Williams..

Have electoral rolls been mentioned yet as another avenue to check?

Pam

Smile FLORENCE TREASA FRAY-COGGINS

Florence was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment for attempted bigamy at Leeds assizes in march 1938.
    What prison would she have served her sentence.
    Would there be records I can access at that prison.
    Released from prison later in that year with no money, no home, and apparently no family support what would become of her, what support was available.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast