Elizabeth Pindell, Lodger, 71, Dressmaker, Wells, Somerset

1891 48 Welbeck Street, Nottingham North East
    George H Pindell, Head, 30, Bobbin Maker Brass, Nottingham
    Laura do, wife, 26,,Nottingham
    Beatrice do, dau,6, scholar, Nottingham
    Alice do, dau, 4, scholar, Nottingham

1891 11, Cornwall Ends, Kensington
    Emma Pindell, Servant,17, Housemaid,Bedfordshire

I did check all of these with the scans of the census. Only the last Emma could be Pendell.

The Pindell's seem to leave more questions than answers!

Hope this helps

Thanks, Raffaele!

You're so right about the PINDELLs leaving more questions than answers!!!!

Pat McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by PatMcCoy View Post
    "There were only 2 Pindells on the 1851 census and 13 in 1901, so not a common name. Of course, as you say, there could be name variants. Of those who were listed the predominant county seemed to be Berkshire."

I forgot...would it be possible to give me the full names of the PINDELLs you found in the Census records?
    The two in 1851 were Joseph Pindell b 1780 Hungerford, Berkshire and Robert Pindell b 1781 Northumberland with families.
    (Ancestry in their wisdom have transcribed Robert and his wife and daughter as Tindell but the grandson in the same house as Pindell)

The 1901 entries are probably too late to be of any use to you. There are 13 Pindells listed but they appear to be in only four family groups.

George (48) and Elizabeth Pindell and family living in Stanford in the Vale, Berkshire

Thomas Pindell b 1857 Bicton, Essex (single) living in West Ham, London

George H Pindell b 1882 Poole Dorset (lodger in Haywards Heath, Sussex)

Eustace & Sarah Pinnell and family living in Battersea (Ancestry have them indexed as Pindell but looking at the actual image I am pretty sure it's Pinnell)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

PatMcCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    The two in 1851 were Joseph Pindell b 1780 Hungerford, Berkshire and Robert Pindell b 1781 Northumberland with families.
    (Ancestry in their wisdom have transcribed Robert and his wife and daughter as Tindell but the grandson in the same house as Pindell)

The 1901 entries are probably too late to be of any use to you. There are 13 Pindells listed but they appear to be in only four family groups.

George (48) and Elizabeth Pindell and family living in Stanford in the Vale, Berkshire

Thomas Pindell b 1857 Bicton, Essex (single) living in West Ham, London

George H Pindell b 1882 Poole Dorset (lodger in Haywards Heath, Sussex)

Eustace & Sarah Pinnell and family living in Battersea (Ancestry have them indexed as Pindell but looking at the actual image I am pretty sure it's Pinnell)

Thanks, Sue!

I have reason to suspect that any PINDELLs in Europe could be distant cousins. All of the PINDELLs/PINDALLs in America are related to each other. Eventually, I hope to be able to contact a PINDELL researcher in Europe and compare notes.

Pat McCoy

Vance Mead

Is this a possibility? This is from Virtual Jamestown, from a datase of indentures of people sailing from London or Bristol to America. Some to the Caribbean, others to Virginia.

Bristol database
    Name: Thomas Pondle
    Date of Indenture: July 15 1680
    Destination: Virginia
    Ship: Richard & James

I suppose Pondle could be Pendle or Pendell? or is this too recent?

Vance Mead

Pat
    Here are some more or less contemporary records about Pindell in England. At Familysearch there are a few more.

These are PCC wills (Prerogative Court of Canterbury) at Documents Online

Richard Pendell, Mariner of Stepney, Middlesex 21 November 1696
    PROB 11/435
    John Pendell, Mariner late belonging to the London 07 April 1747
    PROB 11/754
    Joseph Pendal or Pendall, Servant of Wigginton, Oxfordshire 04 October 1722 PROB 11/587

This is a will in the Consistory Court of London, at the London Metropolitan Archives:
    Pendlie [Pendle], Nicholas
    Middlesex, Fower Mills by Bow
    April 1624

And at the Essex record office site
    https://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/login.asp
    There were people named John Pendell mentioned in 1614 and 1687

Also the Maryland Archives have a very good site, with lots of information online, at:

https://aomol.net/html/index.html

Proceedings of the Council of Maryland, 1692-1694
    James Pendall prisoner in the custody of the Sheriff of St Marys Ordered to be discharged

Anything you can find at the American end, no matter how trivial - as long as it is contemporary - can be useful.
    Vance

PatMcCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Mead View Post
    Is this a possibility? This is from Virtual Jamestown, from a datase of indentures of people sailing from London or Bristol to America. Some to the Caribbean, others to Virginia.

Bristol database
    Name: Thomas Pondle
    Date of Indenture: July 15 1680
    Destination: Virginia
    Ship: Richard & James

I suppose Pondle could be Pendle or Pendell? or is this too recent?
    It's hard to know for certain. From what I know of Thomas PINDELL, he owned a LOT of land in Maryland. Part of that land became Prince George's County later on.

Pat McCoy

PatMcCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Mead View Post
    Pat
    Here are some more or less contemporary records about Pindell in England. At Familysearch there are a few more.

These are PCC wills (Prerogative Court of Canterbury) at Documents Online

Richard Pendell, Mariner of Stepney, Middlesex 21 November 1696
    PROB 11/435
    John Pendell, Mariner late belonging to the London 07 April 1747
    PROB 11/754
    Joseph Pendal or Pendall, Servant of Wigginton, Oxfordshire 04 October 1722 PROB 11/587

This is a will in the Consistory Court of London, at the London Metropolitan Archives:
    Pendlie [Pendle], Nicholas
    Middlesex, Fower Mills by Bow
    April 1624

And at the Essex record office site
    https://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/login.asp
    There were people named John Pendell mentioned in 1614 and 1687

Also the Maryland Archives have a very good site, with lots of information online, at:

https://aomol.net/html/index.html

Proceedings of the Council of Maryland, 1692-1694
    James Pendall prisoner in the custody of the Sheriff of St Marys Ordered to be discharged

Anything you can find at the American end, no matter how trivial - as long as it is contemporary - can be useful.
    Vance
    Thanks, Vance.

My cousins and I have found quite a bit of Maryland information. I wish I could figure out where Thomas PINDELL came from before he landed in Maryland.

Pat McCoy

PatMcCoy

To provide an FYI, my research has encountered several different spelling variations of the PINDELL Family name. These spellings have included: PENDELL, PINDEL, PINDLE, PYNDLE, and PINDALL. I have a feeling there are more but I can't remember them off the top of my head at this time. It presents a challenge when "digging" under the "brick wall".

Pat McCoy

Other possible spelling variations could include: PENDEL, PENDILL, PINDILL, PINDIL, PENDIL, PYNDYL, PENDHILL, PINDHILL, etc.

Given that the Thomas PINDELL in question was born about 1624, I'm not certain what records are available for that time period.

Pat McCoy

PatMcCoy

Question

Other possible spelling variations could include: PENDEL, PENDILL, PINDILL, PINDIL, PENDIL, PYNDYL, PENDHILL, PINDHILL, etc.

Given that the Thomas PINDELL in question was born about 1624, I'm not certain what records are available for that time period.

Pat McCoy
    I discovered from the link below that there are other spelling variations that I was not aware of!

https://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Pendle

Could this clue help us?

Pat McCoy

PatMcCoy

This may be a "long shot" as it has worked on the U. S. side of the Big Pond. I've been able to look up e-mail contacts of PINDELLs in the United States and found a new cousin today. We are comparing notes and filling in the blanks. Is there any way to look up PINDELL e-mail addresses in England similar to the system on my side of the world? I've been trying to search but only American contacts turn up. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Pat McCoy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast