Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Andrewb

Joanna

I didn't have an exact birthdate for my grandfather. I guessed it as 1887/88 based on his death certificate and I knew the name of the town/County. They found it! I wasn't so lucky with my great grandfather though. It would appear his birth wasn't registered. They deducted 4 euro by way of a search fee for that one, instead of the usual 6 euro for a copy of a certificate.

Birth certificates contain the following info:

Date of birth, Name, Sex, Name surname and dwelling place of father, Name surname and maiden surname of mother, rank or profession of father, Signature qualification and residence of informant, Date of registration and signature of registrar.

I've always been impressed by the speed and quality of service from the GRO in Roscommon. The costs compare favourably with those of the British GRO and Scotland's People.

good luck with your quest

Andrew

Mutley

They will search 2 years either way of a date that you give them. As said the charge is 4€ if they do not find it.

They found all the births I was looking for in record time but they cannot find the marriage of the parents. Four tries so far.....

However, an excellent service as far as I am concerned.

davidyoung

I beliee I foud my gr gr gr grandmother's death index record and would like to order a certificate. This is my first attempt for Ireland, althogh I have some experience with BMD certs from England. My question is: how do I tranlate the info from the index record (below) to the application form?

Here's the entry from the LDS Irish Civil Registrations database:

Name: Mary Eliza Norwood
    Registration district: Lisburn
    Record type: DEATHS
    Registration date - quarter and year: 1876
    Estimated birth year: 1813
    Mother surnames:
    Film number: 101588
    Volume: 11
    Page: 415
    Digital GS number: 4200220
    Image number: 00211
    Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

Following the British BMD pattern, is this record: Lisburn Vol 11 p 415 year = 1876 (no quarter listed)?

Also, where on the request form does this inforamtion go? What is a "PPS Number"?

Thanks much!

LynA

Question

Does anyone know what the "Digital GS number" is? All the births I have found for my family seem to have consecutive numbers (just one gap). I wondered if there was any significance in this.

Lynda

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by davidyoung View Post

Here's the entry from the LDS Irish Civil Registrations database:

I have edited and quoted part of your post above as an example.

This information is what you need to order from the LDS if you have a branch near you. These are their numbers.

For Roscommon, I just filled in the fax form with the rest of the details and left off the PPS number as I had no idea what it was either. I suspect it is their reference number from their indexes.
    They still found mine OK without it.

Reputation beyond repute

PPS is a social security number. Not applicable back in genealogical times.

So far as I know only the registration district, volume and page number mean anything to GRO

davidyoung

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    PPS is a social security number. Not applicable back in genealogical times.

So far as I know only the registration district, volume and page number mean anything to GRO
    Thank you, Peter. I think Mutley misinterpreted what I was tryng to ask. My original question was how to order the certifcate from Ireland, not the microfilm from Salt Lake City.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by davidyoung View Post
    Thank you, Peter. I think Mutley misinterpreted what I was tryng to ask. My original question was how to order the certifcate from Ireland, not the microfilm from Salt Lake City.
    I don't think I did David, though maybe I did not explain it well enough for you to understand.

From the LDS you use the numbers I put on the quote as below.

From Rosscommon, in Ireland, they do not want, know or need the LDS reference numbers, you fill in their form with the answers to the questions they ask. They do not have or ask for the same references as the UK GRO.
    https://www.groireland.ie/docs/DeathEnglishApp.doc
    Surname
    Forename
    Date of Death
    Date of Birth or approx age
    Place of Death or Registration District
    Sex
    Occupation if known
    Marital Status
    PPS you can omit

Plus your details and credit card info.

then you place the form in a fax machine and press send or you post it to them, the address is on the form.

davidyoung

Thanks Mutley. I did find your earlier answer relative to obtaining the Irish documents confusing. All is very clear now - thanks again.

Andrewb

Got the three certificates in the post this morning. Forms were posted off a week last Saturday.

Andrewb

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast