Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

old maps https://www.
    old-maps.co.uk/index.html

click on link and enter coordinates 328927 329344
    When all maps loaded, click on "1876 Town Plans"
    When old map loaded in main window, click on main window to "zoom".
    Use slider bars to navigate
    Last edited by Jan1954; 02-02-2013 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Url edited - this is a commercial website. Please read Brit-Gen's AUP

Sue Dobson

This was a great link and I was able to see The Albion Inn clearly marked opposite the church. Thanks!

Two "sightings" of a Nurse at the Albion Inn, Oswestry, both from the North Wales Chronicle -

Saturday, 15 December, 1855
    BIRTHS
    "On the 5th inst, the wife of Mr Nurse, Albion Inn, Oswestry, of twins"

Saturday, 30 Jan, 1858
    LLANRHAIADR-YN-MOCHNANT
    The Red Lion Inn Coursing Meeting

Following the day's "sport"
    "....about 85 in number, sat down to partake of a most excellent repast. Among the company were the following gentlemen ......; Nurse, Albion Inn, Oswestry; ......"

Sue Dobson

Once again a gem! Thank you! I knew from other research that Thomas Christmas Nurse and his wife Hannah (nee Ackland) had twins, James Incledon Nurse and Eliza Nurse, who were baptised in Oswestry on 28th December 1855 - you have now given me their actual birth date and an announcement I did not know existed! It also confirms the family were definitely at the Albion at this date. Sadly James Incledon died, around his 5th birthday, in the December quarter of 1860 but his twin sister survived into adulthood.
    Even better is the second clip and its unexpected insight into the life of Thomas Christmas Nurse! Does it imply he had been (hare?) coursing? Or have I misunderstood the nature of a 'Coursing Meeting'? Any guidance welcome!
    I also wonder whether the North Wales Chronicle is the main/only publication for Oswestry at this time and where it is possible to consult it? Again any guidance would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Sue Dobson

Slater's Directory of Glos, Herefs, Mon, Shrops & Wales 1859
    Taverns and Public Houses
    Albion, Thomas Nurse, Church St

Yes, it was "hare coursing" - hence the "sport" in inverted commas.
    Have sent a PM

Slater's Directory has Thomas at the Albion Inn, 1859. But -

Wrexham Advertiser, 24 Dec, 1859
    CHRISTMAS SHOW OF MEAT IN OSWESTRY
    ".......; a prime fat pig, fed by Mr Bromley, Albion Inn, Oswestry; ....."

An Ellis Bromley, Innkeeper/Gamekeeper, is head of household at the Albion Inn, Oswestry in the '61 Census (RG09 1878 99 38)

jamesdon

Default Kings Head and Albion Inn Oswestry

I have a copy of "Oswestry with An Account of its old houses, shops etc. and some of their occupants" my copy published in 1920.

"No. 45 Church Street was formerly a public house called the Albion Inn. Whilst an inn the occupants were Mr James Jenkins 1844, Mrs Margaret Gee 1852, Messrs Thomas Nurse 1855, Eli Bromley1862,John Davies 1866, John Jones 1873 and William Williams 1874. The license was dropped in 1876 when the premises were converted into a butcher's shop for Mr Charles J Poole who removed from No. 53"

No. 45 is between No. 47 currently The Oak Inn and No. 47 currently The Wynnstay Hotel.

"No.12 Kings Head Vaults. The first appearance ofits name in the Registers is in 1803 when JohnJones was tenant. The next in 1810, the occupier being Cadwaladr Ellis. In 1828 it belonged to and was was held by Mr Samuel Pritchard who died in 1836, being succeeded by his widow Mrs Margaret Pritchard. Other occupiers have been Messrs. Richard Thomas, George Morris 1874,Enoch Evans 1878,and John Lloyd 1880."

The Kings Head is still a pub.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12