Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lynne Storry

Default ALBION INN, OSWESTRY

In the 1841 Census my relative James Jenkins is living at 12 Church Street, Oswestry with his family and states he is the Landlord, but on this Census it does not give the name of the pub only the address.
    In the 1851 Census it gives my relative James Jenkins living at the Albion Inn, Oswestry with his family, 12 Church Street.
    In the 1861 Census it gives a woman as Landlord, but James Jenkins and his wife have died by this point, although James Jenkins children are still living at the Albion Inn at this time. They are down as neices and nephews. Does anyone know if the woman is a relative of James Jenkins or his wife?
    12 Church Street today is known as The Kings Head. Can anyone throw any light on when the pub changed its name and why? I am also trying to find James Jenkins in some sort Town Directory, etc, but to no avail. Last, but not least, does anyone have a photograph of the Kings Head today? Any history on this would be treasured.
    Regards
    Lynne

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne Storry View Post
    In the 1861 Census it gives a woman as Landlord, but James Jenkins and his wife have died by this point, although James Jenkins children are still living at the Albion Inn at this time. They are down as neices and nephews. Does anyone know if the woman is a relative of James Jenkins or his wife?
    Have you searched for her in the 1851 or 1841 at all to see where she is, what she's doing and if she is married to anyone?
    12 Church Street today is known as The Kings Head. Can anyone throw any light on when the pub changed its name and why?
    Contact the manager of the current pub, asking if it is a Managed or Free house. If the former, ask for details of the brewery and then contact their archives. If the latter, ask them if they have any history about the place stashed away anywhere.
    I am also trying to find James Jenkins in some sort Town Directory, etc, but to no avail.
    Where have you looked? The County Records Office should be able to help you. Have you tried Historical Directories?
    Last, but not least, does anyone have a photograph of the Kings Head today?
    Give it a google - the pub is in existence today and may well have a website. You could always ask the Landlord/lady for a photograph, if you will be writing to them anyway (see answer above)

Geoffers

Jan has mentioned the County Record Office - they may also have a colelction of old photos as well as directories. Use a search engine to look for 'Francis Frith' and see if they have any photos of interest.

Lynne Storry

Thanks Geoffers for the Francis Frith connection. I have been on the site that gives pictures of Church Street, but they do not show the Kings Head I am afraid. I am going to have to go to the County Record Office for photos as well as directories. I have waded through all of the directories on Ancestry for a couple hours, but have not come up with anything

Lynne Storry

Thanks Jan for your info. Yes I have found the female relative in Derbyshire, but still can't find out as yet whether she is James Jenkins' sister or sister-in-law. I am writing to the Manager of the Pub in Oswestry as we speak. I have only checked the historical directories on line. I think I am going to have to go to Shrewsbury Library and try to find something on this Pub. Would you believe, Google is absolutely no good for anything on the pub as it was known or as it is today, apart from a tel. no.

Sue Dobson

We believe my husband's relative Thomas Christmas Nurse was also an Innkeeper at The Albion Inn Oswestry at some point between 1852 and 1862 although on the 1851 & 1861 census records he is not living at that address. I wondered whether you had uncovered any other information since the above post Lynne? I would value any chance to compare research and solve our brick wall re The Albion Inn!
    (PS It is now possible to see The King's Head in Oswestry by going onto Google Maps and choosing satellite view)

CanadianCousin

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Dobson View Post
    It is now possible to see The King's Head in Oswestry by going onto Google Maps and choosing satellite view
    There's also a picture of the King's Head, taken in 1963, on the website of the Oswestry Family & Local History Group - see https://www.oswestrygenealogy.org.uk/...ngs-head-1963/ (it's just to the right of the Old Vaults).

Tim

P.S. And a more recent picture can be found here.
    Last edited by CanadianCousin; 01-02-2013 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

The original post has the Albion Inn at "12 Church St".

1841 Census
    James Jenkins, 40, Innkeeper, address Church Street. The premises are NOT numbered

1851 Census
    Margaret Gee, Head, Widow, 41 Innkeeper & Gamekeeper, address Albion Inn, Church St. The premises are NOT numbered.
    The number "12" referred to in the original post is "No of Householder's Schedule" - Column 1 on the Census sheet.

According to the 1851 History & Gazetteer & Directory of Shropshire -
    OSWESTRY TRADES DIRECTORY
    Hotels, Inns and Taverns
    There are 8 listed for Church St and they include -
    The Albion, Margaret Gee, Church Street
    The King's Head, Margaret Pritchard, Church Street

Sue Dobson

Thanks Tim - super pictures. Apparently the King's Head/Former Albion Inn is now a wine bar so I am planning to visit when the opportunity arises.
    Sue

Sue Dobson

Thanks Helen
    That's interesting as the 1851 Trades Directory would suggest that The King's Head existed separately to The Albion rather than being a later re-naming. Does anyone else have any information on this?
    Thomas Christmas was also Inn Keeper at The Fighting Cocks in Beatrice Street after his tenure at The Albion and any information on this would also be gratefully received.
    Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast