Wirral

Isle of Man BMDs are not in the GRO index. The records are kept on the island & are not available online.

Mutley

Default Isle of Man - Useful Hints

If any one has any further ideas or helpful hints for searching Isle of Man relatives then please add them here.

Thank you

trudles

Default IOM BMDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    Isle of Man BMDs are not in the GRO index. The records are kept on the island & are not available online.
    There is a website www.manxbmd.com which contains images of the pages containing the index up to 1964. They are arranged by districts, then the year, then under thefirst letter of the surname. Births up to 1901 are in a searchable database. Otherwise it is just a matter of trawling. Better than nothing though.

vegasview

I have found the Manx Notebook (MNB) to be very helpful in researching my Manx relations. It can be found at
    isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook (put www. in front)

Other helpful sites are:
    isleofman.com/heritage/genealogy/genealogy.aspx (put www. in front)
    iomfhs.im/lawsons/LawsonBMD/Main_Site_index.html (put www. in front)
    Last edited by Jan1954; 16-06-2010 at 5:41 PM. Reason: Urls edited - they sell books/CDs

Kevin Garrad

Useful sites:

iMuseum www.imuseum.im

ManxBMD www.manxbmd.com Coverage now up to 1979 (or later). Not 100% coverage (yet)

Lawson's Micro-site https://www.iomfhs.im/lawsons/LawsonB...awson+BMD+Home
    (Started by Brian Lawson many years ago, and no longer updated, but useful for earlier records, 1820's to 1920's)

IvorClucas

Quite a number of IoM registers are now available indexed and with images on Familysearch.org as well. They are from the Manx National Heritage Library but include images which is very useful when trying to investigate unusual spellings such as my Taubman/Tubman/Tumman lot.

Kevin Garrad

Only entries up to 1883 have been digitalised?! Even at the Manx Museum Library!

After that we still have to manually look through the Parish Registers.

IvorClucas

Thanks Kevin,

As far as I can tell you can't see the digital images on the Museum Web site can you?

Kevin Garrad

No you can't - only transcriptions.

If I need to look at an original image, I always pop in to the Museum!

IvorClucas

Wish I had that luxury!!!!!!