Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    v.wells

Welcome Graemer! You've just entered a minefield of help

Astoria

Welcome from me too.

Graemer

Thank you so much Astoria, V.Wells, Oates, Pam, Wirral, Geoffers and Sue. It is now Monday midday and another hot and sunny one, ha ha ha!

Thanks also for tips where to go next, I'll be at it again tonight! Also Sue thank you for that kind offer to visit the museum. I'll check it out some more as I'm not convinced it is him. Would family men have signed up at the age of 40 or so?

Another question, does one add new questions to a new thread or keep going on this one?

Cheers all. Keep warm!
    Graeme
    P.s. hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Graemer
    Also Sue thank you for that kind offer to visit the museum. I'll check it out some more as I'm not convinced it is him. Would family men have signed up at the age of 40 or so?
    Possibly, it is not inconceivable

Another question, does one add new questions to a new thread or keep going on this one?
    There aren't specific rules, basically this forum is just to say hello; but if this thread takes off we can always move it to another forum for you (and let you know where it's been moved).

If you want to change to a different subject to do with your research, then create a new thread in a different forum.

Procat

Greetings Graeme and welcome to the forums.

The introduce yourself forum is normally just to do that though some hello posts do seem to take on a life of their own.

It is usual to post a specific research question on a thread of its own on the relevant forum. That thread may expand as more information surrounding the issue surfaces of course.

if you had another question that was not similar to the first you would start a new thread for that.

It is not a good idea to start two threads on the one question as this can result in different people researching the same issue. If one of the grumpy Mods see this happen they will usually lock one of the threads.

Regarding the age for signing up in WWI. In January 1916, single men aged 18 - 41 became eligible for conscription. In May 1916 this was extended to include married men.

(I see Geoffers was replying while I was still formatting my answer).

Graemer

Thanks Procat who I see is a Super Aussie Moderator! Does Procat barrack for Geelong by any chance?

Procat

Cough. Splutter.

Collingwood mate.

Graemer

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    You will find this site useful https://bathbmd.org.uk/ It has all the civil BMD references for Bath, including the mother's maiden surname for all births. Your family are listed there. I won't give the details as you will find it more fun to find those yourself!
    Thanks Wirral I found them and you're right it is more fun!
    Even found the marriage of Winifred Constance Brown ( Nan's sister) to Wlliam Henry Sheppard, so another line to follow.

Graemer

Sorry Procat I was guessing by the name. How funny, I lived opposite the Pies old ground the year they won the last flag.

Procat

No, nothing at all to do with felines.

That was a long time ago. Back when footy was more of a sport than a profession.

But even then it was certainly not the same as when I was a little tacker.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast