Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    june payne

Default can you help - Joshua DARLOW

I am trying to find out about a Joshua Darlow he was born 1879 Birmingham Father George Mother Jane, some thing to do with Railway Carriages that is all the Information I have He had brothers William ,Samuel,

Procat

Hi June,

What are you trying to find?

Do you already have census information, do you have birth marriage and death information?

Are you trying to find where he worked etc etc?

SBSFamilyhistory

hi June

did Joshua marry a Helen, if so I have found him on the 1901 census.

It says that he was a railway carriage worker there is also something written over this but the writing is difficult to read.

RG13; Piece: 2872; Folio: 97; Page: 8

Joshua Darlow23 Helen Darlow22 George Darlow3 Phoebe Darlow1

I hope this is of help

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    It says that he was a railway carriage worker there is also something written over this but the writing is difficult to read.
    It looks like Rly Wagon Iron Turner
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

june payne

Thanks very much

SBSFamilyhistory

hi again June.

I have looked at the 1881 census to see if I could find Joshua's brother.

If I am correct I have found the family Class: RG10; Piece: 3152; Folio: 108; Page: 41

now there is one thing I found fascinating if this is the family. at some stage they went to the US as Jane Darlow their daughter was born in Mabe, prossibly Mane America, but they was back in Aston when their Son George was born the next year.

Now I wonder why they went there?

Sue

I found the family in 1881. What Sue found was in 1871 (RG10)

RG11/3034 Folio 68/69 Pages 12/13
    105 Charles Askew Street, Aston, Birmingham

George DARLOW 56 warehouseman? b Northamptonshire Whitton
    William son 17 wood turner b Birmingham
    Samuel son 12 b Birmingham
    John G son 5 b Birmingham
    Joshua son 3 b Birmingham
    Phoebe NEEDLE 35 b ?? Northamptonshire and 4 children living in same house.

June, I got your PM, but am replying to it here as others may know more about the railways in the Aston area. Railway service records are held at the National Archives at Kew, but there is no easy way to consult them other than going there and trawling through large volumes. Also you need to know the company he worked for, and that is not straightforward in that area ca 1900. My signalman husband tells me that if he worked for a railway company then it was probably either London and North Western or Midland BUT if he worked as a railway carriage fitter then he could have worked for either Metropolitan Railway Carriage and Wagon Company (later to become Metro Cammell) or the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

SBSFamilyhistory

yes Sue is correct it was 1871... perhaps I will knock some sense in....well perhaps not...

june payne

Default Re Joshua

Thanks for your message's re Joshua Darlow , this was helpful , I had found the 1861 census with daughter jane born in North America its a mystry. this is my best friends family so have given her the information to work with !!!MY own tree is difficult enough as you may see , my joining name is "Weary Searcher" but I see I am coming up as June Payne Heaven Knows why!!!!! I am still trying to navigate my way around and getting in a right mess, I had a marvelous Surprise when I had my Brickwall smashed for me re John Gavin Hay who I had been searching for 15years !!!! I got a reply from "Jeremy" but cannot seem to find him to thank him or find out where he came by the information, as I have tried to go Further but ANOTHER BRICKWALL !!!!!!!! I am very Independent and hate having to bother people, and have been battleing for 20 years with all my Branches, but think I will meet them in Heaven, before I find them (HA HA<)June

SBSFamilyhistory

hi you will find Jeremy under the user name "jeeb"

glad I was able to help your friend..now lets help you with your tree

Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast