louisemccrea

Default heip with deValls in Rugeley

Hi

My GGGG Grandfather George deVall was born in Rugeley in about 1786 he married a Sarah and moved to Dudley where his son John b.1814 and daughter sarah b. 1833 were born. George was a master hatter.
    However a few more Rugeley deValls have been brought to my attention and i don't know if there is a connection one is a Mary deVall born 1787 and married a John Hawkins and the other is a Samuel deVall born 1813 who also became a Hatter which i find more than a coincedence as many of my deValls were hatters and had there own business.

any help would be great
    Thanks Louise

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by louisemccrea View Post
    .....the other is a Samuel deVall born 1813...
    Hello Louise,

The IGI has an extracted record for a christening of a Samuel DEVOLL (that is how it has been transcribed) on 11 October 1812 in Rugely. He was the son of William and Mary.

Batch No.: C010214
    Dates: 1721 - 1812
    Source Call No.: 0421585
    Type: Film
    Printout Call No.: 6900010

Could not see anything for George or Mary, though.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Could not see anything for George or Mary, though.
    Sorry - I fibbed. Just found this:

Mary DEVOLL christening 16 December 1787 in Rugeley, daughter of Samuel and Martha. Same references as Samuel in the above post.

(Still no George, though...)

louisemccrea

Hi jan1954

Thanks for that i had found the Samuel on IGI on the census but never thought about the different spelling.

I will have a look thanks
    Louise

Jan1954

Hi Louise,

When it comes to the vowels, always check for alternatives. Some of the handwriting that is being transcribed can be appalling!

Oh yes, L and S can also be mistranscribed because of loopy bits, not to mention M and W....

Good luck!

louisemccrea

Hi

Thanks for the advice i am stil quite new to this. am ok at searching but i still have to get used to the different spellings.

Louise