Thread: Lock(e)s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    carefulcarrie

Default Lock(e)s

I am trying to trace my Lock(e) ancestors who were a Romany family that travelled through Shropshire, Staffordshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Monmouthshire. The period I am interested in is 1800-1900.

Carrie Meerten

Quote Originally Posted by carefulcarrie
    I am trying to trace my Lock(e) ancestors who were a Romany family that travelled through Shropshire, Staffordshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Monmouthshire. The period I am interested in is 1800-1900.
    when posting an interest for , it would be really helpful if you gave details as to what you are after, require help for. Include info about the person, ie dob, place of birth, maybe even wife or siblings names and details.

The more info you can supply when asking for help, the easier it is for someone to help you as we dont know any details on the person or people u r searching.

carefulcarrie

Default Re: Lock(e)s

Hi Meerten

Thank you for responding. My Lock(e)s seemed to settle in the Clun/Bishops Castle areas in the 1900s. I have found the following information:
    Grandmother: Rose Amy Lock born approx 1910-14 in Abergavenny (siblings Daisy b. 1912 Richards Castle, Ludlow; Bella, Dolly, Violet, Jack (John), Harold and Benjamin).
    Gt Grandmother: Sarah Jane Locke b. 1895 Homer, Wenlock, Shropshire - she married (not found) my gt Grandfather William Lock who I can find no information on. Sarah Jane's siblings were Phoebe b. 1898/9 Much Wenlock; Selina Mary b. 1900 Bridgnorth; Alice May b. 1904 Bridgnorth; Alice Eliza b. 7/10/1903 and William Hubert b. 2/3/1910 Churchstoke, Montgomeryshire (there are probably more siblings and I think there are two fathers Isaiah Lock and James Lock).
    Gt gt Grandfather Isaiah Lock b. 1862 and christened in Adbaston, Staffs - he married (23/1/1893) Sarah Jane Clinton b. 1872 Dawley Green, Shropshire. However, she appeared in the 1901 Census as the wife of James Lock, b. c1865 Admaston, Shropshire. Isaiah had a brother John b. 1872 Hanley William, Worcestershire. I believe that he also had brothers James (above) and Bert b. 1876/7 Diddlesbury, Shropshire as well as a sister Sabra b. 1863 Eccleshall, Staffs.
    Gt gt gt Grandfather Ezekiel Lock - married Amy Taylor.
    All of the male members of the Locks (my gt Grandmother's line) that I have traced were travelling musicians (fiddlers). I cannot find out any information about my gt Grandfather William Lock other than he was a Hawker - I don't know which family of Locks he belonged to.
    I hope that there is someone with some information about this difficult to trace family.
    Regards

Carrie Meerten

Exclamation Re: Lock(e)s

I have found some details on the 1901 census, all the birth places and ages match. James is listed as the father - maybe James is Isaiah's middle name. I find that a lot of mine use their middle names as first names and change again on the next census. This is a big possibility.

I was going to email you a copy of the original census but your email address is not available. It might be a good idea to select the option to show your email address so that people can email you direct upon the first search, otherwise we have to spend more time on your request by doing the search again after we have received your email.

please post reply with your email address and i will do a little more research on other census's for you.

Carrie Meerten

Talking Re: Lock(e)s - 1901 census

I did a seach (1901 Census) of Phoebe Lock* (* being a wild card) and have emailed you the link to the original census.

Civil parish: Edgton
    Ecclesiatical parish: Edgton St Michael
    Town: Edgton
    County/Island: Shropshire
    Source information: RG13/2512
    Registration district: Clun
    Sub-registration district: Lydbury
    ED, institution, or vessel: 4
    Folio: 31
    Page: 2
    Household schedule number: 9
    Last edited by meerten; 13-02-2005 at 12:49 AM. Reason: system glitch - jumbled text

Carrie Meerten

Lightbulb re: lock(e)s - Isaiah

Cannot find any Isaiah on the 1901 census. Chances are his other name is james. Whether James is his first name or middle name is something you are going to have to find out from a birth certificate.

I would recommend finding his birth to confirm his correct name before assuming there was 2 marriages.

Changing names on census' and age variations is a very common thing on the census.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Default email address in posting

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Meerten
    .....It might be a good idea to select the option to show your email address so that people can email you direct upon the first search, otherwise we have to spend more time on your request by doing the search again after we have received your email...
    I just want to comment on this comment. If I want to make direct contact with someone I will post my email address in the 'private' messages section of this forum - there is no need for everyone to have access to an address.

By emailing someone direct with the information - thus bypassing the forum, other people are not going to know it has been done, and repeat the lookup. I had this happen on a mailing list I was on, there were only ever requests and barely ever an answer - because everyone was sending the results direct to the asker. I would receive six to ten answers to a simple question, coming in for days after the first result. One person told me this was because they didn't want people contacting them direct asking for lookups - so it works both ways.

Carolyn, I would suggest you go back to your post and remove your email address from the posting. This is for your own protection, as our postings do come up on search engines when you do searches, and you never know what email address harvester may be laying in wait. [Maybe I am just being paranoid? but the forum is set up to protect our email addresses for a reason]

ChristineR
    Australia
    Last edited by ChristineR; 15-06-2005 at 4:30 AM. Reason: spelling

janieg

Default The Scholar Gypsy

Hi Greenlady
    Esmeralda Locke was my mums great aunt and I have lots more info on her if you are interested
    However I have not as yet managed to get a copy of the scholar gypsy my brother has managed to source one and I willat last be able to see what she looked like.
    janieg

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlady
    I have read about the Locks in various books. Ones I have to hand are "The Scholar Gypsy" by Anthony Sampson, published by John Murray, and "Songs From The Roadside" by Jeremy Sandford, published by The Redlake Press.

The Scholar Gypsy has several pages on Esmeralda Lock, including two portraits. She was married to Hubert Smith, the town clerk of Bridgnorth, but ran away for some time with a lover. She was a singer and dancer (apparently Dante Rosetti painted her at some point) and ended up in Prestatyn.
    The book also briefly mentions Zekie Lock (Ezekiel, perhaps?) "one of the true-born gypsy Shropshire clan".

Songs From The Roadside has a couple of pages on the Locke family "known as the Gentlemen Lockes". It says that one of their songs is still in the vaults of the English Folk Dance and Song Society. The book specifically tells of John Locke. Esmeralda also gets a mention later in the book - she's obviously quite a famous lady!

A quote in the latter book (doesn't say who said it): "You can never mistake a Locke; they are so long!"

Don't know if any of this helps, but you should certainly try delving into Romanestan Publications books for any information on Romanies and Romany families - I have found them invaluable!

Owdwilly

Quote Originally Posted by carefulcarrie View Post
    Hi Carrie,
    Not sure you will get this as your post is a long time ago, but I must be related to you. I know where your Great grandmother Sarah Jane and your Grandad William are buried. Sarah Jane is my great aunty, she is my grandads sister. I have photos of her.
    Sarah Jane is the daughter of Isaiah and she is named after her mum. Isaiah is also known as James which I think is his middle name. He died after being discovered in the snow in the 1920s and is buried near me. I also have photos of him and Sarah Jane.
    Really hope you get this