Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

Default Captain's Registers 1869-1911

This is the Index to the Captain's Registers of Lloyds of London 1869(retrospective to 1851 for masters and mates still sailing in 1869)-1911

(indexed alphabetically by surname)

The Lloyd's "Captains Registers" are held by Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section

https://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capintro.htm

JeanCochrane

Default Captains Registers of Lloyd's of London

From you information I was able to access the Captains Registers of Lloyd's of London web site and locate my husband's greatgrand father's information. This information tells me his name, date of birth and place of birth, certificate number and place and date of certification. Also some volume numbers which I understand has his name listed. I am trying to find how I can order/print/copy these volumes. I am not understanding from the web site how I can do that.

Any instructions you can provide me would be appreciated. I live in Canada so am not able to visit the actual facility.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by JeanCochrane
    From you information I was able to access the Captains Registers of Lloyd's of London web site and locate my husband's greatgrand father's information. This information tells me his name, date of birth and place of birth, certificate number and place and date of certification. Also some volume numbers which I understand has his name listed. I am trying to find how I can order/print/copy these volumes. I am not understanding from the web site how I can do that.
    The first line of the link given mentions:

"The Lloyd's "Captains Registers" are held by Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section and can be consulted by readers without prior formality. Further details concerning voyages (not found in the indexes) can be extracted by readers or searchers working on their behalf. Guildhall Library is unable to extract voyage details from the registers on behalf of enquirers."

Records of the Guildhall Library are being copied electronically to be made available online.

The Guildhall Library web-site indicates that they have a 'fee-based service.'

This guide from Guildhall Library indicates that original certificaes mentioned in the index are held by The National Maritime Museum

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Jean

As Geoffers has said, the office copies of the Masters Certificates (1845–1927) are held by the National Maritime Museum in the Caird Library. As with the Guildhall you can order a copy of the Certificate, but have to make the request on their own form, by post, accompanied by the payment.

Martin

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

I will keep myself posted on that link of Captains Registers. A few letters of surnames havent yet been transcribed. My ancestors surname was Wallaker.

Ben

JeanCochrane

Default Captain Register and Certificate of Competenc

I have printed off the form that I can order the Certificate of Competency that I want. The cost is 23.50 pounds per certificate number. I'm not sure how much that is in canadian dollars, probably around $50.

Jean Cochrane