aweepeek

Question Lily ANDERSON, missing person c.1917

Hello everyone,

This is the perfect thread for me to jump right in. Family mystery seems to haunt many. I have a story of a young female relative who went missing in 1917-1918. Her name was Lily (Lilian Anderson), b. 1894. Cowes I.O.W. She moved into Sussex as a young child, but the 1911 census is hinting that she returned to I.O.W. and was living with her grandparents, William and Sarah Jane Dunford. There was some speculation that Lily may have drowned, .... she was never found. There must have been a police report, or something in newspaper concerning the disappearance. Trying to validate that this event did indeed happen.

Appreciate any help. awp.

Geoffers

Hello and welcome to the B-G forums

I've moved your message to a new thread of its own to avoid confusion

Family mystery seems to haunt many. I have a story of a young female relative who went missing in 1917-1918.
    By 'went missing' - is this information that has been handed down through your family, or does she just disappear from records after this date?

Could she have died in the 'flu epidemic? Have you tried searching the General Register Office (GRO) index of deaths?

Her name was Lily (Lilian Anderson), b. 1894. Cowes I.O.W. She moved into Sussex as a young child, but the 1911 census is hinting that she returned to I.O.W. and was living with her grandparents, William and Sarah Jane Dunford.
    Did William or Sarah DUNFORD leave a will? If they did, do either of them mention your lass?

There was some speculation that Lily may have drowned, .... she was never found. There must have been a police report, or something in newspaper concerning the disappearance.
    There would have been an inquest into the death, though where to look for this would depend on where she died. I think the date and place of death are the first thing to confirm. Do you know how to access the GRO index of deaths?

aweepeek

Hello,

The story that was handed down, was that she went missing, they searched and worried, and never found her. The drowning story was just speculation, I suppose all kinds of scenerios were considered. I have searched for any records through freeBMD and can only find the birth. Lilian Caroline Freda, I.O.W. Hampshire. Jan.3 1894.

Not sure how to access will information for the Dunfords. Great idea though. Don't know exactly where or when she dissappeared. But the time that was handed down was 1917-1918. She had been known to travel to Belfast and Edinburgh to visit family. We know very little.

Newspapers and police reports were just a thought. Certainly how we would handle it today.

Thanks, awp

v.wells

You will have to search the complete GRO indexes as they only go up to about 1922 on Freebmd. Perhaps she got married.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by aweepeek
    Not sure how to access will information for the Dunfords. Great idea though.
    The Probate Calendar has been copied onto microfilm - I undertsand that it is available via mormon church (LDS) record centres.

aweepeek

Hello,

Thankyou for input, I will keep searching, but no luck so far. Anything is possible, she may of even left Great Britain altogether. Passenger records may hold a clue, but when and to where??? We may never know.

I do believe that if someone went mysteriously missing there would be something in a local paper of the community she lived in. In this case Cowes, I.O.W.

Cheers awp.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by aweepeek
    she may of even left Great Britain altogether. Passenger records may hold a clue, but when and to where??? We may never know.
    Outward (emigration) Passenger lists held in document class BT27 at The National Archives are now available on the pay-per-view site findmypast. Earlier records contain limited detail; by the peace following WW1 they are variable, but often more informative.

I suppose you have checked CWGC to confirm she is not recorded there?