Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Shoeburyness Home Guard

Hi,

My late grandfather, James Dorrell, was a member of 3rd Platoon. E Company, 16th Battalion of the Essex Regiment (Home Guard). This platoon was "based" at the Experimental Establishment" at Shoeburyness, to the north of Southend-on-Sea, where an armoured train called the "Terror" was in use from about 1940/41 until the Home Guard was stood down in November (?) 1944. I have a photograph of the platoon taken in 1944, which was taken at Shoebury.

Does anyone have information that links 3rd Platoon to the "Terror" please?

The photograph doesn't give individual's names, but it's very clear and I'm happy to email a copy to anyone who may find it of interest.

Perahps we can help each other?

Regards,

Paul

Geoffers

I'm afraid I know nothing of the armoured train - but have you tried Unlocking Essex and th Essex RO for any information?

Thanks Geoffers. Unlocking Essex has no mention of Shoeburyness or the train. I guess a visit to the RO is my best bet. Thanks for the thought.

Paul

Geoffers

I found this article there, which contains a very brief comment.

Reputation beyond repute

You may find something of interest at the National Archives. See para 7 of this research guide -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=147

Thank you (again) - I appreciate your help.

Paul

jll67

Default 3rd battalion E company shoeburyness

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDorrell View Post
    Hi,

My late grandfather, James Dorrell, was a member of 3rd Platoon. E Company, 16th Battalion of the Essex Regiment (Home Guard). This platoon was "based" at the Experimental Establishment" at Shoeburyness, to the north of Southend-on-Sea, where an armoured train called the "Terror" was in use from about 1940/41 until the Home Guard was stood down in November (?) 1944. I have a photograph of the platoon taken in 1944, which was taken at Shoebury.

Does anyone have information that links 3rd Platoon to the "Terror" please?

The photograph doesn't give individual's names, but it's very clear and I'm happy to email a copy to anyone who may find it of interest.

Perahps we can help each other?

Regards,

Paul
    Hi Paul

My grandfather George Robinson was in the same home guard battalion
    I would love to see any pictures you have but have never heard of the Terror

Regards
    J ane

I know that there was an armoured train at Shoebury that was manned by the Essex Home Guard in the later stages of WW2. I am not sure where (and can't find it now) but I recall that at least part of it ended up amongst the rolling stock at Mangapps Railway Museum, Burnham on Crouch. The proprietor and volunteers of Mangapps have extensive knowledge of the history of their stock so I think that it is worth an e mail to them and they will probably have all the info. They would probably like a photo of the men who manned it.
    Essex Records Office do have some stuff on the Essex Home Guard in WW2 but it is quite patchy usually relying an an individual to keep records/diaries that are subsequently donated as Home Guard units didn't have to keep a war diary.I did a quick scan of their catalogue but I couldn't see anything of obvious help.
    Although I run the Essex regiment F H website I don't keep any WW2 information as the privacy/data protection liabilities make it just too difficult.
    Like all WW2 soldiers MOD keep the service records but in the case of the Home Guard it is usually one sheet of paper showing details provided on enlistment plus enlistment and discharge dates. The ones that I have seen don't include postings, promotion, illness, courses etc.
    The Essex Regiment Museum has some WW2 info and some photos, They are always seeking to add to their stock so again they would love a copy and may have some more details.
    Send me a PM and I will let you have the links etc.

Default Can't upload photo of train

My grandfather was involved with the creation of this train.

I have a very good high resolution photograph of it, and some accompanying information.

Unfortunately the forum won't allow me to upload the image.

All I get is - "File upload failed, error #1"

P.

Trying again -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast