Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    OwlsburyAli

Question Hillside Prep School, Godalming

Can anyone out there tell me where this school was? It was attended by Aldous Huxley, Tyrone Guthrie and Sir John Gielgud among others. And run by a Mr Gidley Robinson. Grateful for any info. Thanks.
    Alison

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

You will find it on the 1901 census

RG13 piece 606 Fol 17 Page 27

This appears to be somewhere between Lower/Upper Manor Road and Farncombe Street, Godalming. Have a look on Mulitmap.

Incidentally, the Huxley family is on the previous page, RG13, 606, 16, 26
    And the Headmaster is Gidley Robinson.

Michael

OwlsburyAli

Smile Hillside Prep School

Many thanks Michael.

hillsider

Default Hillside Preparatory School

Hi Alison,
    I know exactly where it was as I went to it and, in my time there it was Mr Whicker who was headmaster. It occupied the land to the West of The Close and is now called The Paddock - went down almost as far as Birch Croft. The house was magnificent and was called Crownpits house. There was a miniature railway running the entire perimeter of the very extensive grounds. It was knocked down after it closed in around 1970 and built on. I'm very interested in finding other men who went there as it was such a small school few records exist. Regards

Martin

Davidrangeley

I agree with Martin. The school was in The Drive, Busbridge. I was there between 1952 and 1959, joining at the age of 6.5 as my parents were abroad. It had 30 boarders and 30 day boys. Mr Whicker bought the school from my uncle Hamish Campbell. The school used to be on Reigate Hill (hence "Hillside") and moved to Godalming during the war because of the risk of bombing, or so I was told. The school was very good and achieved high Common Entrance results. It was sold for redevelopment I think around 1962 and became a new school plus houses, which was rather a pity because the land was wonderful with two fields and woodland. Whicker worked hard and never really made any money and it was so sad that shortly after selling the land he died. The little railway had gone by the time I joined but bits of rail still turned up. There was also a pony which was used to pull the roller. I am not aware of any school records or alumni organisation.

David Rangeley

Knowledgeable and helpful

This caught my eye because I lived in Godalming from 1947 to 1960.

Here's a nice piece about Crownpits, which clarifies some confusion:

https://www.thebridgeonline.org.uk/at...f_Hillside.pdf

Peter

Old Maps https://old-maps.co.uk/index.html
    coordinates are 496977 145123
    When all maps loaded, click on choice of "old map" in rt hand column to populate main window. "Old map" can be enhanced (once) when loaded by clicking on main window (anywhere except where marked in red "Enhanced zoom")

Originally "Hillside House", first marked as "Hill Side School" on 1916 map. Recorded on 1934 map as "Hillside School" but by the 1961 map has reverted to "Hill Side"

The coordinates to check "Crownpits" are 497354 143376 (just replace old coordinates at top of screen)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Re Gielgud, from The Times, Thursday, March 22 1964 -
    "Gielgud at 80 ...... he still resembles the boyhood photograph that shows him swathed in a toga as Mark Anthony in a production of Julius Caesar at Hillside School, Godalming."

The Times, Monday 20 October, 1969
    DEATHS
    WHICKER - On October 18th, 1969, after a short illness, Rudolf Hart Robert Whicker, of Hillside School, The Drive, Godalming. Funeral service at Busridge Church on Thursday, October 23rd at 2.30 pm., cut flowers only please

Letter to The Times, Tuesday, September 18, 1934
    HORNBLOWING IN ANGLO SAXON TIMES
    When I was assistant master at the preparatory school, Hillside, Godalming, 30 years ago, the cricket field was, and still is, known as "Markinghorn". The name has persisted through 10 centuries, or so, and is so called because in Saxon days anyone coming over the ridge from Compton had to announce his presence by horn to the village of Godalming below. Mr John Aston, Meadowside, Uckfield, Sussex.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast