Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He's a what??

Tinker

Default He's a what??

Is there anybody who has any idea what on earth an 'Assistant SC and T' might be. One of my husband's ancestors, William Flanigan, has his occupation described as this in the 1911 census. If it's any help, he is boarding with a couple in Pulborough, Sussex and the husband is a 'Fitter.' In 1901 he is still at home with his family in Doncaster and is a Post Office Telegraph messenger, but the rest of his family are employees of the Great Northern Railway. Any suggestions welcomed!

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Occupation Codes

I can't help with the abbreviation, but has the enumerator added a 3-digit code next to it? I've seen this on some entries, generally in red, and it gives a rough classification of the occupation. There's a list of the codes on the 1911 site - click on "about the 1911 census" in the top bar, and almost at the bottom of the links on the left there's one to Occupation Codes.

Arthur

Brick wall demolition expert!

My guess would be Sorting Clerk & Telegrapher....or Sipher Clerk & Telegrapher if the enumerator doesn't know how to spell Cipher.
    Adele

Nicolina

S & T is a railway abbreviation for Signal and Telecommunications (still in use today). Not sure where the C comes into it.

Tinker

Thanks to you all for your input. Arthurk, I only looked at the transcription, the originals being a bit pricey for my budget, and there were no codes shown on that, so unfortunately no help from that source, I'm afraid!

AdeleE and Nicolina, both your suggestions sound pretty good to me. I have to say, I initially didn't think there would be any railway connection in rural Pulborough, but surprise, surprise, there's a track running to the left of Pulborough (going roughly south/north) on modern maps. I should look to see when that line first came in to existence and which railway company it might have been in 1911. Signallers, Clerks and telegraphers would all be employed by the railway, I should think, and it makes sense to combine the jobs.

Knowledgeable and helpful

In 1911, Pulborough was on the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. Later became the Southern Region at the amalgamation on 1.1.1923.

Pulborough still has a station, on the line from Bognor to London. In 1911, there was also a branch from Pulborough to Midhurst which closed in the
    1950s.

Elwyn

Tinker

Thanks for that very useful info on the railway, Elwyn. William must have travelled on it when he and his girl went off to get married in London in Jun Q 1919. Their firstborn arrived in Sep Q 1919, which explains why!

chrisj1961

The birthplace code page is brilliant - I now know officially that my great great great grandad was born at sea, between Malta and Corfu

Thomasin

So what did he put in censuses for a birthplace?!

Thomasin

Tinker

I think I'm going to have a look at the original for my William, when my cash flow permits. The codes might enlighten me about his employer, amongst other things.

Bet you're pleased with your result, Chrisj1961!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast