Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NicaG

Hi again,
    Well, I haven't spent any money yet but I have a problem!!
    I have checked the 1841 and 1851 censuses? and have found only two that might fit my ggrandad. One is in the 1841 and shows him at St Pancras aged 6 and the 1851 shows a William Lilley aged 16 at Soho, Strand. My GGGrandfather is proving more elusive. I have looked under William Lilly (his name spelling on the baptism entry) and have found four possibles in the 1841 and three possibles in the 1851. I have tried looking for Martha Lilley (my gggrandmother) and can't find anything for her!!!
    Not knowing the London area, short of looking at every one (and spending a bunch of credits) is there any shortcut to give me the possible area he/they might be in.
    The areas I have so far are Bethnal Green, Poplar and Whitechapel, Marlebone, Stepney and St Margaret Westminster and St Pancras???????? Bearing in mind that my ggrandfather was christened in St Martin in the Fields, is it possible to determine the most likely area???
    although I have been 'playing' with the family tree, I haven't really got down to seriously planning and working out the best way to research and would appreciate any tips ie, finding maps of the areas for the period concerned, etc
    Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

This would appear to be your man -

HO 107/1510 f 161 p 54

William Lilley 40 Carman, b Warwickshire, Dunchurch
    Martha Lilley 40 Laundress b Suffolk Beccles
    William Lilley 15 b London St Giles
    Mary Lilley 14
    James Lilley 12
    Elizabeth Lilley 9
    Susannah Lilley 6

Have you read the Wikipedia article I mentioned? That will confirm for you that St Giles is the right birthplace.

You are very very lucky with those parents' birthplaces!!!

NicaG

Wow, why couldn't I find that!!!!! don't answer that! Thank you Peter. The names of the children actually fit in with names that continue down through the family so.......... sounds good.
    The problem I have is that my ggrand-dad in later census (1871/1881) marks himself down as being born in Islington!
    Erm, why am I lucky with those birth places???? are they well documented????
    thank you again Peter. xx

NicaG

Well I am back to where I started. I have 'traced' William Lilley that Peter found and he is a part of another family and not mine so...............
    it looks like the hunch my cousin had was wrong.
    To go back to William Lilley my grandfather, he was born in Islington, in the parish of St Mary, in 1835'ish. so I will have a look at the parish records (when I find them) and let you know how I get on.
    Thanks for your help so far xxx

Diane R

Default Lilley - how to look up the area?

Assuming 1871 is the correct William Lilley, I have found the following. The first two children were born in SCARBOROUGH - not as transcribed. So I looked for a marriage there as Martha also comes from Scarborough. I found a William Lilley on a page with two others in 1865M. So I looked for a correspnding Martha and found Martha Tann (but on page 482 and William on 484) I then wondered about son Robert and could not find one under freebirths - but found his brother William 1865 Scarborough.
    So I looked for a Robert born 1860 and found Robert Tann born 1859 Scarborough. So that clears up that mystery.
    Looking at 1881 to see if William was consistent - he puts again Islington, Middlesex and by conformation Robert is shown as Tann stepson. Not everything is on the IGIs - very little has been done for Islington, if this is where William was baptised. You have already ruled out the William Lilley baptised St Martins in the Field to William and Martha - so far failed to find them on 1841. The other baptism that does come up is 10/1/1834 St Clement Danes Westminister to Edward and Caroline and they are on 1841.
    On 1861 the only William Lilley that might fit the bill 1836 London City living Saffron Hill, Finsbury - not far from Islington, London City and Islington do not quite match up as birthplace.
    There is also a William Lilley born 1840 London, Middx living Hoxton, but with a young wife he does not name.
    On 1851 there is no-one I would be certain of and to add to confusion there is an William Liles 1838 Islington son of Thomas and Ann.
    But Edward and Caroline are living Finsbury area with son William shown as 4, but as he is an errand boy I think he maybe the one born 1834 - so maybe this is your William?
    1841 brings William Lilley 1836 and William Lilley 1837 and William born 1835 with Edward and Caroline living St Clements Dane Westminster.
    Hope you can find something to help in this. do not lose hope - we have got through brick walls after many months of collecting anything that may seem relevent.
    Diane

NicaG

Thank you Diane. I have found the 'later' info about my GGrandfather but I can't find him prior to that!. I am now disregarding the info that my cousin used and,just using the info my ggd put on his 1871 census form. He states that he was born in Islington in theParish of St Mary and he gives his age as 35. I have had a quick look but couldn't really find anyone who fitted the bill in the earlier censuses.
    My next step!! was to come on here and ask for advice on
    Looking at Parish Records ( I havent' a clue how to even start)
    and
    as my GGF states he was a 'seaman' on his Marriage certificate, how to find him if he was in the Navy or on a ship!!
    Hadn't got round to doing it due to doing other things!!!!
    I did think that perhaps his father, in completing the census might have put another district for his birth details ( St Pancras instead of Islington) because I know that the information is not always totally accurate.
    Thank you Diane,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12