Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hugh Thompson

Wink Gwynne, Montgomery,McCullagh,Munro.

Looking for anyone with Northern Ireland connections to
    Robert Gwynne,b.abt 1800 in Kroghan Co Cavan,married Ann Montgomery,b.1804 Kroghan Co Cavan,they married March 1826 N Ireland.
    Alexander John McCullagh,b.abt.1830 in Donny Horragh or Denihora,Co Down,married abt,1851 in Warren Pt to Anna Munro,b abt.1829 Warren Pt, Co Down N Ireland.
    Thanks for any help.
    Hugh.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Hugh

The name McCullagh made me sit up and take notice.
    I am of absolutely no use to you in you search for the above people but, my grandfather was Alexander McCullough and the family did come from Ireland.

Do you have a McCullagh line coming to NSW and if so when? I am sure the spelling could have easily been the same at some stage.

James McCullough (great grandfather) married Mary Ann Matthews 1868 Dubbo district NSW. As well as Alexander (b 1874) above, I have found sibling William Henry (b 1871) both in Parramatta.

I have not done much research into my paternal side of the family but I think my brother may have done so before he died(without computer and at great expense!). I will write again if I find anything that may be of interest.

Cheers

Marj.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Marj,I'll get my cousin Fiona to reply to you as I have'nt the foggiest idea but she may be able to help you as she knows her side of the family a lot better than I do,thanks for the reply,
    Hugh.

Great, thanks Hugh.

Hope not too hot and humid up your way? We are promised over 37 degrees this Tuesday... hurry up autumn!
    Marj.

Hugh Thompson

It was a lovely 27 degrees here today wind SE light overcast but had to babysit our granddaughter 16 months old and she never stops we are worn out,I've emailed Fiona,there's a possibility Alexander was in NSW as he ended up on the Darling Downs.
    Hugh.

Smile

Sounds good. I look forward to more news some time in the future.

Looks like you need a quiet Sunday!!

Cheers
    Marj.

Hugh Thompson

HI Dargie, just adding to this post so that Fiona can find it.

FionaThompsonSchrier

Post McCullagh's from County Down

Hi Marj
    Hugh put that post on there for me (thanks Hugh)! Anyway I am only just starting to look at this, so my info is fairly slim at this stage.

'My' McCullagh's came from County Down. This Donny Horagh/Denihora/Derry Hora location eludes me - that info was passed to me from a relative - so may be spelt completely differently & is indeed giving me the horrors.

My Great Grandfather, Alexander John McCullagh (b. abt 1830, Co Down), came to the Darling Downs, Qld sometime between 1861-1867. I haven't researched what vessel they arrived on. He died on the Darling Downs in 1891. The 7 children that I know of were born btwn 1853-1869, either in N.Ireland or Australia.

I can't see any William Henry's or James' amongst them. I do not have info that any of them ended up in NSW, but not to say that they didn't.

Regards, Fiona

Default Alexander McCullough/McCullagh

Hello Fiona
    Thank you for your reply to my McCullough/McCullagh query.

My family definately came for County Down so I have a feeling that there must be some connection somewhere down the line.

I know that in my family there were several brothers, some branched off to New Zealand, some to America and some to Australia.

The fact that your ancestor was named Alexander seems to me to be significant. I already mentioned that my grandfather was Alexander Morrow.If you ever find a lady with last name of Morrow in your research I would love to know about it!

Maybe some of the Irish forum members can tell me if Alexander was a typical Irish name in the middle 1800's I would have thought it to be unusual and more of a Scottish forename. Of course I could be completely wrong about that.

Until I am able to find out more on my side I will watch your findings with great interest. I see there is another thread going regarding the immigration of your family from Ireland. It is extremely interesting and of great assistance to me also, so thank you to all those involved.

It was interesting to see that McCullagh was transcribed as McCulloch, that followed me all through my single life.. quite annoying as I was always told that the "och" ending was the Scottish version not Irish.

At the present time I am fully occupied with my maternal Suffolk ancestors and have been procrastinating with my father's Irish side. So thanks again, your research is going to help me a lot!

Cheers
    Marj.

FionaThompsonSchrier

Smile

Hi Marj

Yes there seem to be many variants on the spelling of that surname.

However re the frequency of the first name Alexander in Ireland, when I did a search on PRONI for freeholders in Ulster, there were ten listings for 'Alexander McCullagh', just for that spelling!

If I come across anything of interest, will be sure to mention it. Although it might be slow (but persistent), as I have a one year old - apparently they require attention - who knew?! 3rd cousin to Hugh's aforementioned 16month old gr'dtr!

Regards, Fiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast