Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Default When was this taken?

Has anyone got any idea roughly what year this could have been taken? Maybe from the clothing?

Michael Duke

maybe 1890's ?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I also thought c 1880-89 then saw a slightly softer version from 1862. Lost the websight which I had googled.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Hmm, my mum's cousin says it is a picture of her Grandma who was born in 1862. She believes the lady is holding one of her sons, either the one born in 1900 or the one born in 1905, which would make the lady either 38 or 43. Not sure myself, so thought I would ask.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Very quick off the mark.

I have this photograph with a very similar look which was my grandmother with her eldest child taken in 1900.

Maggie

Having consulted the books by Robert Pols I am inclined to agree with your relative - and because of that jacket/thingy that is belted over the dress and the hairstyle. It looks very turn of the century.

I did, just for a moment, wish that she was wearing a hat. Hats are the greatest clues aren't they? the clothing of the baby also pushes me towards turn of the century.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time