Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The earliest mention I can find is under "Historical Directories" https://www.historicaldirectories.org...dbykeyword.asp

Directory of Leeds, Bradford .....1854
    ACADEMIES
    *take boarders

*Greenwood Rev Bernd. BA. East Hardwick

Pigot's 1841 Directory lists a number of schools - none seem to fit Hardwick Academy

Holyoak

Thanks for this. Wish I could get to East Hardwick to have a look around and try to work out what is left of the building illustrated in my letters!

ELRYDER

Hallo - thanks for your contact through British Genealogy.com.
    Looking through my information about East Hardwick school.....I don't have too much more than what is showing on the thread.
    My great grandfather Samuel Law attended the school in 1861 (I don't know for how many years though).

I do have a picture - or rather an illustration of the school which I can forward if you wish.

Like you I would like to find out more about the school.

Let's hope there is more info out there.

Holyoak

Default Illustration of East Hardwick Academy

Hi, I would love to see an illustration if you have one -how do we do this? I'm new at this game. I do have an etching on the EHA letterhead which the boys wrote on - I wonder if that is what you have too? I have found an 1893 map showing the site which fits with the etching I have, but apparently not much of it is left, which is a shame. What documents do you have relating to your ancestor at EHA, just out of interest? I could send you scans of these letters if you liked.

ELRYDER

Hello Holyoak
    Sorry about the delay in replying I am having a couyple of problems 1) I tried to insert the picture and it is not completing the insertion and 2) I have been trying to remember how to send a personal message - used to do this regularly. I have sent a message to the Forum Adminstrator of british-genealogy and hopefully will hear back soon and then I can get the info to you.

Banned

Hello Elryder, I have read all the information from everyone about East Hardwick School with great interest as my
    grandfather and his brothers attended there. I had read the advert in the Leeds Mercury 1858 but had not been very
    successful in finding out much more. The standard of education must have been reasonable as they all achieved in life, two
    becoming solicitors, one a doctor, one brewer, one traveller, one farmer (my grandfather). They ranged in the school
    between 1871 and 1893. Two of the boys won medals inscribed by Mr.Lord and Mr.Slack. I am interested in the
    girls school which was latterly run by Mrs and Miss Slack. In 1891 census a Miss Edith Slack was staying with my great
    grandparents in Mortlake Surrey, as she is born in East Hardwick I think that she is associated with the school.
    Sorry I havn't added any more practical information to the forum but this introduces me and I will keep searching.
    Best wishes GEOTOW

oldtimer793

hello geotow i have in my hand a medal from east harwick school for g s barstow dated june 1879 if anyone has a connection i would like to here from you or any body with a connection with school this medal was for mostexemplary conduct.

Banned

Hello Oldtimer 793, Interesting to hear of the most exemplary conduct medal for G.S.Barstow. He would have been a contempary
    of the three eldest great uncles. Harry (later to be killed in WW1) received the Victor Ludorum in 1881. Charles received something
    called Cambridge Local in 1885 and 1886,and the last one like your medal 'for exemplary conduct' in1891. The Victor Ludorum is
    shield shape and has what I think are his initials (H.C.W.)engraved on the front headed by E.H.S.A.S. I'm sure the first three
    are East Hardwick School but do you have any ideas what A.S. stands for?.

oldtimer793

Hi GEOTOW im afraid i no nothing about the medal this was found in my late fathers goods. My father was a probate solicitor and a lot of his bits and pieces he aquired during his job.If anybody would like this medal for family or school collections please get in touch as this is why i posted it on the thead

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123