Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The Leeds Mercury 17 July 1858 carries the following advert -
    "Boarding School East Hardwicke, near Pontefract - conducted by Mr Lord of the University of London, who will be happy to forward a prospectus, with testimonials, to any address. The pupils reassemble on the 20th July"

By 16 June 1860 it reads
    "COMMERCIAL SCHOOL EAST HARDWICK, near Pontefract
    It is presumed that parents desirous of conferring a really good education on their sons, cannot better do it than by placing them in the above school.
    The subjects taught are of essential importance to the 'professional' and business man and the mode of instruction is calculated to remove from early education the distastefulness with which it is commonly invested.
    Terms from 22 Guineas per annum. Prospectus &c may be had from Mr K (?) Lord"

By 1868 Mr Lord was advertising that the school numbers had increased from 23 to 102 pupils over 10 1/2 years. By 1884 the principals were E Lord and S Slack. The school was variously advertised "Mr Lord's School, "East Hardwicke Academy", "Boarding School", "Commercial School"

A Girls' Boarding School East Hardwick began to be advertised around 1865, conducted by Miss Slack. Later a Miss Sutcliffe and later again Mrs and Miss Slack headed the school.

ELRYDER

Dear helachau:
    Thank you for the very interesting piece of information from the Leeds Mercury in 1858 - this really helps to 'fill out' the picture of the boarding school my g grandfather attended.

Any idea if the Leeds Mercury has any archives on line? ( I will have a search after logging off from the B-G Forum)

I appreciate your assistance.

Elryder,

Have sent you a PM re access to the Leeds Mercury

LindyRH

Default East Hardwick School 1865

I have the Day Book and account book for East Hardwick school 1865.
    These list all the purchases for the school and all the profit and loss.
    These include food, cloth, books etc, who sent what and where from and the various taxes paid.

If anyone needs more info let me know.

ELRYDER

Haloo LindyRH

I found your post interesting....as you can see I started this thread becuase my maternal grt.grandfather attended East Hardwick school.

I would think that the Day and Account books could provide information on the daily management of the boarding school in the 1800s.....I'd like to know more about the records.

Thanks

peterhargreaves

To my knowledge there have been 3 schools in East Hardwick
    A Roman Catholic boarding school, which is now a family house and is known as 'Old School House, Doncaster Road, East Hardwick, Pontefract, West Yorks.

East Hardwick Academy, of which only a circular boarder remains, I do have a copy of a print of this.

The Stephen Cawood, Church of England Junior and Infant School, Darrington Road, East Hardwick, Pontefract. This closed in 1986.

Holyoak

Hi Elryder, I am researching East Hardwick Academy as I have some letters from boys there dated 1860-1863, beautifully written in exquisite Copperplate handwriting. I want to either find out more about the school or the boys, surname Knowles. I wondered if you had found out anything else in your search? The letters mention Mr Lord, the Principal, so it's definitely the same school and there is even a picture, very detailed, on the letterhead of one of the letters. Hope to hear from you.

Holyoak

Hi, I am researching East Hardwick Academy as I have some letters from boys there dated 1860-1863, beautifully written in exquisite Copperplate handwriting. I want to either find out more about the school or the boys, surname Knowles. I wondered if you had found out anything else in your search? The letters mention Mr Lord, the Principal, so it's definitely the same school and there is even a picture, very detailed, on the letterhead of one of the letters. Hope to hear from you.

The Bradford Observer, 9 June 1859 - "....East Hardwick Academy, near Pontefract, formerly conducted by the Rev B Greenwood....".

1851 Census (HO107 2330 26 3)
    Bernard Greenwood, Head, Marr, 65, Incumbent of East Hardwick, b. Haworth, Yorkshire + family + staff + boarders

In Dec 1857 the Academy was being advertised "..... Conducted by Mr E Lord of the University of London, under the able superintendence of the Rev B. Greenwood B.A. ....."

The 1851 Census (HO107 1306 7/46 14) has B ernard Greenwood, age 50, Clergyman and Schoolmaster at Harley School, Halifax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast