Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    JamieG1782

Default William Riley Lee....... HElp

Hi,

Looking for any information on William Riley Lee, All I know is he married Alice Ann Cotsford b1875 - 1954 & had 5 children, Selina Alice b1898 - d1970 married Frank H Jeffries, Rhoda b1899 Ambrose Isaac b1901,Rose A Lee b1913,James Lee b1917

I Know its not much info to go on, as far as I know they were always in the Kensington area at least after they married

Thanks In Advance For Any Help

(William's Father May Of Been Called Riley, But Not Certain)

kcapes

Default Re- William Lee

Hello
    Do you have them at Admiral Place Kensington, let me know.
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by kcapes View Post
    Hello
    Do you have them at Admiral Place Kensington, let me know.
    Kim
    Hi Kim
    yes Jamie has them in 1901 in another thread on this family.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=39933

I really do think you should buy the marriage certificate for William and Alice, Jamie. I have given you the reference before. This will give his father's name and occupation and shorten the list of possibles.
    Christina.

JamieG1782

Hi Christina & Kim

Christina that is exactly what I'm going to do, And thanks for all your help (read your email after posting this thread)

Kim,

Yes I do 14 admiral place, do you have ties there? If so can you let me know what ties etc?

thanks

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by JamieG1782 View Post
    Hi Christina & Kim

Christina that is exactly what I'm going to do, And thanks for all your help (read your email after posting this thread)

thanks

Jamie
    Let us know what the certificate says Jamie when you get it. We like to know how others are going in knocking down their brick walls.
    Christina

JamieG1782

So I brought the certificate, And still no clue!! fathers name not there!! A name with a line through it (could be Joanne??) and underneath that the number 16?????

So none the wiser and can't find him on the BMD to get his birth certificate

Any Help??

Quote Originally Posted by JamieG1782 View Post
    So I brought the certificate, And still no clue!! fathers name not there!! A name with a line through it (could be Joanne??) and underneath that the number 16?????

So none the wiser and can't find him on the BMD to get his birth certificate

Any Help??
    Oh bother!!! Do you know how to post an image on here Jamie? If you are game to try there are instruction here, then we could all take a look and give opinions on what the crossings out say
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ewpost&t=40612

Or tell us everything that is on the certificate - witnesses, addresses, the lot. Or you could scan it and just send to me. But it is looking as if William may be illegitimate. Oh bother!!!
    Also when I was revisiting this post and your other I noticed something I hadn't previously. William and Alice's children. Selina b 1898, Rhoda 1899, Ambrose Isaac 1901 then a break of 12 years before the births of Rose Alice 1913 and James Lee 1917.
    I am going to sit quietly in a corner and familiarise myself with the ins and outs of all this.
    Christina

Well I have spent ages trawling the earlier census and still no nearer to being definite about having found your William.How the 1891 census is interesting re Alice Cotsford's family.
    They are in the A B workhouse Mary Place Kensington (put that in to google for info on it) but Alice isn't with them.
    1891 Census RG12 piece 23 folio 47 page 4
    William Cotsford 46 general labourer born St. Lukes London
    Catherine 40 laundress b Hurlington Middlesex
    William son 18 woodcutter
    John 13 scholar
    Mary Ann 11 scholar
    Thomas 8 scholar
    Sarah 5 .All children born Kensington

1881 census RG11 piece 33 folio 79 page 27
    family transcribed as Gotsford
    William 36 coal porter
    Catherine 30 laundress
    William 9,
    Ann 6 (this has to be Alice, age is correct)
    John 3,
    Mary A 1
    All birth places as 1891.
    Now the interesting thing is that at the top of the same page is a William Lee but his age is 19 and occupation carpenter. Maybe this is he and he told a couple of porkies. Anyway something to keep in mind.
    Christina

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Also when I was revisiting this post and your other I noticed something I hadn't previously. William and Alice's children. Selina b 1898, Rhoda 1899, Ambrose Isaac 1901 then a break of 12 years before the births of Rose Alice 1913 and James Lee 1917.
    Christina
    Ok I have found out why the gap in children. I had a few units left and went in to the 1911 census for a transcript of the Lee family.
    Now I know you don't need all of this number but I don't know which bits to leave out so you get all of them.
    RG14 PN174 RG78 PN6 RD2 SD3 ED10
    55 Treverton Street Kensington North
    William Lee married 14 years dealer and flower seller
    Alice 36 same occupation
    Selina dau 14 just left school
    Rhoda dau 12 school
    Ambrose son 9 school
    William son 7
    Reuben son 7 months
    All born Kensington. A transcript doesn't give details re children who have died so ther may have been others.
    Christina

JamieG1782

[image removed by Moderator - one is not allowed to post the image of a whole certificate due to copyright restrictions by GRO. ]

This is it, thanks for the extra info!! Do you think it would be worth trying to find his birth certificate and hope for info in the Fathers name box?

If ANYONE can shed more light on this it would be very much appreciated!!

And one again, Thanks so much for your help Christina
    Last edited by ChristineR; 21-01-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: remove image of marriage certificate 1844

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast