Children of Charles and Mary SILBERRAD
    Charles born 28 Oct 1794 bap 24 Nov St.Leonard's, Shoreditch
    Amey born 18 Oct 1796 bap 27 Nov St.Leonard's, Shoreditch
    Elizabeth bap 20 Sep 1800 St.Katharine Cree
    Richard born 26 Jan 1802 bap 22 Feb St.Katharine Cree
    Louisa bap 4 May 1808 St.Katharine Cree
    Helen Eliza born 6 July 1810 bap 1 Aug St.Katharine Cree
    Frances born 8 Apr 1812 bap 8 May St.Katharine Cree

Louisa was a witness at her sister Amey's marriage, along with Charles and Helen Eliza (and Fanny was a witness at Helen's, along with Louisa and Charles and a Martha BURTON) so I suspect Elizabeth may have died, as I have found a notice on Google Book Search from The New Monthly Magazine, which states

At St.Katherine Cree Church, Frederick, fifth son of J. AGER Esq of Felstead, Essex to Helen Eliza, third daughter of Mr. SILBERRAD of Aldgate.

There is a burial for Charles SILBERRAD of Aldgate, aged 57, on 5 May 1833 at St.Katherine Cree.

Does this sound like your family?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ager View Post

As far as I can make out from what my father wrote, the information there was largely drawn from the diary of the ship’s surgeon, Dr Henry Kelsall, which may still be in existence somewhere.
    Possible this document at the National Archives in Kew. (See Folios 12-15)
    Sue Mackay

Thomasin

Henry's brother Frederick was one of the doctors mentioned by Martin. He and Helen baptised seven children at St Mary, Whitechapel, and Frederick is described as a Surgeon.

1841 census: Class: HO107; Piece 719; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Allhallows Barking; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 6; Page: 4 (original at TNA, Crown copyright)
    Tower Hill

Frederick AGER 48 Surgeon Not born in County
    Helen wife 30
    Frederick 10
    Sidney 6
    Louisa 4
    Fanny 3
    Helen 6mo

It is interesting to note that of the seven children baptised in Whitechapel that Thomasin found, three died in infancy and were buried in St.Katherine Cree church.
    Helen Eliza bur 26/7/1838 aged 6
    Clara Sophia bur 29/6/1834 aged 1
    Albert bur 28 Dec 1840 aged 15 mo (address Trinity Square, Tower Hill)

So even although Frederick was a doctor he could not prevent three of his children from dying. He might even have brought contagion into the house. Tough times indeed.

Just as they obviously named a subsequent child Helen, they must have had another son called Albert.

1851 census: HO107; Piece: 1539; Folio: 633; Page: 26 (original TNA, Crown copyright)
    10 Oval, Bethnal Green

Frederick AGER Mar 58 General Practitioner, College of Surgeons London born Bucks, Bowbrick Hill
    Fred son 20 unm Clerk to engineer born Whitechapel
    Albert son 6 Scholar born City of London

Not sure where Helen and the other children were on census night. Helen Eliza (nee SILBERRAD) appears to have died June qtr 1856 in Bethnal Green.
    Sue Mackay

The parents of Frederick (and presumably Henry) AGER would appear to be Joseph and Mary. Frederick was born in Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire, and it seems likely that he was born at Caldecott Manor, sold by Joseph in 1798.
    Sue Mackay

johnmillwood

Hi Sue
    I am interested to find out when Captain Henry Ager was born ...My interest in him is because I collect Tasmanian colonial portraits and I have just acquired a portrait of Henry done on board the "ASIA" which he was the captain and was transporting convicts to Tasmania in 1827 ..the portrait was done by a William Buelow Gould who was a convict .I would be grateful for any information .

Regards ,

John Millwood

Quote Originally Posted by johnmillwood View Post
    Hi Sue
    I am interested to find out when Captain Henry Ager was born ...My interest in him is because I collect Tasmanian colonial portraits and I have just acquired a portrait of Henry done on board the "ASIA" which he was the captain and was transporting convicts to Tasmania in 1827 ..the portrait was done by a William Buelow Gould who was a convict .I would be grateful for any information .
    Hallo John, and welcome to British-Genealogy. I am delighted that this thread has garnered yet another member

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    The parents of Frederick (and presumably Henry) AGER would appear to be Joseph and Mary. Frederick was born in Bow Brickhill, Buckinghamshire, and it seems likely that he was born at Caldecott Manor, sold by Joseph in 1798.
    This is not actually my family, and Martin may come back to tell you more, but looking at what I found for Martin previously it looks as if Henry's parents were Joseph and Mary, but this would need to be confirmed. The IGI gave a likely baptism for Henry, son of Joseph and Mary, and with the exact date I was able to find this amongst the unindexed pre 1813 images from the London Metropolitan Archives available on Ancestry.

London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 Record for London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812
    Choose Westmister
    Choose St.Marylebone
    Choose 1786-1793
    Go to Page 31

Baptism, St.Mary St.Marylebone, London 6 December 1787
    Henry AGER, of Joseph and Mary, b 20 Septr.
    Sue Mackay

Martin Ager

Well all of this has added considerably to my knowledge of my family history which was based on the family tree drawn up by my Uncle from notes recorded in the old family bible and painstaking research around London. The wonders of the Internet!

I knew that Dr Frederick Ager was married to Helen Eliza Silberrad but did not know that his brother Henry (the sea captain) married her sister Amy.

Two of the 11 children of Frederick and Helen Eliza Ager; Frederick Birch (b1830) and Sidney Charles (b1835) dissapeared in Australia and family tradition has it that they went to a gold rush and were not heard of again. Perhaps going to Australia was not such a big step as I had thought when their Uncle Henry had been their several times only a few years earlier on the convict runs.

I would be really interested to see a photo of the protrait of Captain Henry Ager if John Milwood could send me one at martin DOT ager AT fao DOT org

Best regards

Martin Ager
    Last edited by Procat; 06-05-2010 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Email address edited against spammers

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ager View Post
    Two of the 11 children of Frederick and Helen Eliza Ager; Frederick Birch (b1830) and Sidney Charles (b1835) dissapeared in Australia and family tradition has it that they went to a gold rush and were not heard of again. Perhaps going to Australia was not such a big step as I had thought when their Uncle Henry had been their several times only a few years earlier on the convict runs.
    Ancestry has a passenger list for the "Hanover", which sailed London to Sydney, dated 28 Sep 1854
    Frederick Birch AGER, aged 18, was apparently a member of the crew. He is down as OS, which I presume stands for Ordinary Seaman?
    Sue Mackay

Martin Ager

Thanks to you all, particularly Sue, for all this information. I am sure that this is my family and have managed to improve my family tree considerably with information and biographical notes. I have also exteded it outwards with information from the Internet, through marriage, to some interesting characters. The problem now is getting to the parents and beyond of Thomas and Joseph Ager in Bow Brickhill, Bucks. It seems that there are lots of interesting documents in the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies in Aylesbury but I cannot get at them from where I now live in Zimbabwe. I will have to look them up next time I am in the UK. If anyone is interested in the tree that I have managed to construct I am very happy to share the Excel spreadsheet if you send me your e-mail address. Martin Ager

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast