Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thomasin

It's the cap and the moustache that age him, and as Astoria says, the eyes. At first glance I would have said he was at least late 20s, but having got out my trusty magnifying glass I am prepared to accept 16. Working children had to grow up so quickly in those days.

Thomasin

Oates

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    It's the cap and the moustache that age him, and as Astoria says, the eyes. At first glance I would have said he was at least late 20s, but having got out my trusty magnifying glass I am prepared to accept 16. Working children had to grow up so quickly in those days.

Thomasin
    Thanks for the input everyone. I agree on the eyes, I think it's because they're so deep set. However, looking at it again, what I can see of the man behind him certainly makes him look younger in context. I think I'm going to go back and make sure I have my facts straight in any case.

MythicalMarian

Well, I want to throw a cat among the pigeons here. The date of 1883 I would fully accept due to the clothing - and I have a lot of photos of my own family from this era. However, no way is he 16. If I was to make an educated guess based on my own photos - and I have pit lads too - I'd put him early 20s.

Do you have his death certificate? Or have you found him on censuses to verify the age. If your ggg uncle did die aged 16, then I would really have to think twice about this being him.

Oates

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    Well, I want to throw a cat among the pigeons here. The date of 1883 I would fully accept due to the clothing - and I have a lot of photos of my own family from this era. However, no way is he 16. If I was to make an educated guess based on my own photos - and I have pit lads too - I'd put him early 20s.

Do you have his death certificate? Or have you found him on censuses to verify the age. If your ggg uncle did die aged 16, then I would really have to think twice about this being him.
    I have him on the 1871 and 81 censuses, and not in 1891 (obviously). I don't have his death certificate but I've found what I think is him in the death index in 1883. There's another person by the same name aged 18 in 1885 but the parish is a bit too far away for it to be likely. I've checked all the available records from 1881 onwards and those are the only two possible ones. I'm going to go back and check with my grandmother where she got it from and such though.

MythicalMarian

You say you think he died down the pits? Have you any info on this particular disaster? If you do a bit of googling it should take you to one of the big mining sites that list all the known disasters. I was able to find a disaster that claimed the life of three of my ancestors in 1858 through this.

If you google 'Ian Winstanley - Mining site' - (I'll not advertise the link in case I'm contravening rules) it will take you to his site. He is compiling a database of all the major mining disasters in the UK that have ever taken place. For the year 1883, he comes up with:

NEW DUFFRYN. Rhymney, Glamorganshire. 25th. June, 1883.
    WHEAL AGAR Redruth, Cornwall. 15th. August, 1883.
    GELLI. Ystrad, Glamorganshire. 21st. August, 1883.
    NELSON. Tyldesley, Lancashire. 2nd. October, 1883.
    WHARNCLIFFE CARLTON. Barnsley, Yorkshire. 18th. October, 1883.
    LEYCETT. Madeley, Stafforshire. 21st. October, 1883
    MOORFIELD. Accrington, Lancashire. 7th. November, 1883.

Any of these any use? If so, perhaps you could go to that link and learn more. As I say, Oates, it was a real help to me in tracking down the local newspaers that listed my three. It may sort out the age of your ancestor for you.

Oates

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    You say you think he died down the pits? Have you any info on this particular disaster? If you do a bit of googling it should take you to one of the big mining sites that list all the known disasters. I was able to find a disaster that claimed the life of three of my ancestors in 1858 through this.

If you google 'Ian Winstanley - Mining site' - (I'll not advertise the link in case I'm contravening rules) it will take you to his site. He is compiling a database of all the major mining disasters in the UK that have ever taken place. For the year 1883, he comes up with:

NEW DUFFRYN. Rhymney, Glamorganshire. 25th. June, 1883.
    WHEAL AGAR Redruth, Cornwall. 15th. August, 1883.
    GELLI. Ystrad, Glamorganshire. 21st. August, 1883.
    NELSON. Tyldesley, Lancashire. 2nd. October, 1883.
    WHARNCLIFFE CARLTON. Barnsley, Yorkshire. 18th. October, 1883.
    LEYCETT. Madeley, Stafforshire. 21st. October, 1883
    MOORFIELD. Accrington, Lancashire. 7th. November, 1883.

Any of these any use? If so, perhaps you could go to that link and learn more. As I say, Oates, it was a real help to me in tracking down the local newspaers that listed my three. It may sort out the age of your ancestor for you.
    Thanks a lot, I'll have a look. Even if he's not on there, I have several ancestors who died in the pits who may be. This particular one is said to have drowned.

Oates

Well, I didn't find the guy I was looking for, but I did possibly find someone else I knew died in the pits but didn't know when. I also found one I have the death cert for misspelled as Hopweed rather than Hopwood. Another was after 1950 so not on there, but I already have copies of the newspaper articles about the inquest. Then I found a couple of possibilities for other people whose deaths I didn't know about. Useful site, thanks for the link. Shame I couldn't actually find the one I was looking for.

Oates

UPDATE - Well, I was just looking through my grandmother's sister's photo albums, when I came across this picture along with the other one I posted a section of in this thread.

In her album, this picture is labelled with a different name (B) - older brother of the one my grandma said it was (A). That could explain why he looks older, but comparing it to the family photo, the picture (especially the ears) definitely looks like the younger boy, A. However, in her album, the family photo is labelled with the names of B and another brother C. The names are written on the back with nothing to indicate who is who. C is younger than A and B and wouldn't even have been born when this photo was taken as his older sister was only a baby in it.

Now I really don't know what's going on. Obviously the photos have been labelled incorrectly at some stage - perhaps it's all wrong and the photo in question is actually of C. I think I'm going to have to take a closer look at this family...

Scotbrummie

Hi,
    just arrived on this site so you've probably found out loads more by now. However, looking at your photo I was struck by the posoition of the man behind your relative. It seems to me that the man with the 'tache is being posed by the man behind, as if he's incapacitated and cannot move his arms by himself. His hands look soft, not like a grafter's hands, and the left one is being held by the man behaind.
    Scotbrummie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12