Pam Orme

Default Abraham Oughton & Eliza/Elizabeth Ruddock

I have the birth certificates for the children of Abraham Oughton & Elizabeth Ruddock born in Co Wicklow at:

Raheengraney,Coolattin and Clonegal in Shillelagh called Abraham 1865,

Raheengraney, Coolattin and Clonegal in Shillelagh called Sarah 1867,

Raheengraney, Coolattin and Clonegal in Shillelagh called Samuel born 1871

and finally

Tomacock/Tomacork, Coolattin and Clonegal in Shillelagh called Mary born 1874.

I believe Abraham and Sarah may have travelled to US arriving on 30 April 1885 in Philadelphia on the British Crown and as Oughton is an un-common name and the DOB and Irish births fit I assume they are the same as above.

However the 1891 census shows Abraham married to Rose A (Harris) later to become Rosannah or Rose Anna and their son Fred my grandfather living with brother Samuel in Leeds.

By 1901 Abraham, Rosanna, Fred, Olive, Thomas and James Harris Oughton are still in Leeds. Samuel has moved to Lancashire and is also married to Charlotte Bailey. Olive dies 1901 and Abraham dies in 1906 and both have been buried in New Wortley, Leeds. Rose A/Rosanna/Rose Anna/Rosannah and the remaining children move back to the Midlands to Birmingham where I have found them in 1911 and through birth, marriage and death certificates.

I believe Abraham Oughton snr came from Yorkshire probably from the Wentworth-Fitzwilliam estate. Any help would be appreciated for my Oughton family side.

Thanks

Pam

Hello Pam and welcome to the forum
    Have you looked at the National Archives for Wentworth-Fitzwilliam?
    Good Luck with your research

Pam Orme

Default Oughton/Ruddock

Hi Neil

Many thanks for your suggestion about Wentworth Fitzwilliam papers. I have been to Sheffield Archives (where I found nothing) that hold some of the estate papers but I believe they form only a small part of the whole collection. I understand the collection in Dublin is much more detailed and gives details of tenants prior to them going to the Wicklow estate. So it looks like a trip to Dublin when time allows and perhaps a return visit to Sheffield. Thanks again.

Pam