revdfg

Default A Great Ponton marriage

I can trace one branch of my family back to a marriage of William Ward and Mary Arnold in Great Ponton, Lincolnshire.
    They had two children that I am aware of:
    Lucy Ward baptised 24 Jul 1825 Great Ponton
    George William Ward baptised 2 mar 1828 Great Ponton.

Is anyone studying either the Ward family or the Arnold family or have access to early census information that could take this family back a generation or so?

Does anyone have access to Great Ponton church records?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi David,

William Ward married Mary Arnold 10 March 1823 Great Ponton. Information courtesy of Lincolnshire FHS marriage index for Beltisloe deanery.
    (Indexes available on diskette per deanery 1700 - 1837. Can be sorted by church, groom or bride. Absolute bargain )
    Map of deaneries at
    https://www.lincoln.anglican.org/indx_parishes.htm
    click on blue number to find current churches in deanery but remember that many churches have closed since the 1800s.
    (Incidentally there are no more Ward marriages in Great Ponton apart from Elizabeth in 17-something. )
    If you can get to Worcester LDS FHC they will be able to order the Great Ponton PRs for you to view.
    If you don't know the LDS FHC address
    https://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Libr...ameset_fhc.asp
    select England, scroll down.

Pam Downes
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Forgot how to do an smilie

revdfg

Default Lincolshire FHS

Thanks for your reply, Pam. I'll follow up the Parish Records disks from Lincs FHS.

Quote Originally Posted by revdfg
    Thanks for your reply, Pam. I'll follow up the Parish Records disks from Lincs FHS.
    David,
    Just so that there is no misunderstanding about the contents of the Marriage Indexes disks fron LFHS.
    1700 - 1753 - name of groom, name of bride, yyyymmdd of marriage, church.
    1754 - 1812 name of groom, name of bride, year, church.
    1813- 1837 name of groom, name of bride, yyyymmdd
    of marriage, church.

Got a bit panicky when you mentioned 'Parish Records' and don't want you thinking that they contained all the info from the PRs, eg witnesses.
    You can also buy the indexes per deanery, per block of years as listed, on fiche. Name-alpha listed on fiche. Initially listed by church on disk, but you can also alpha sort by bride/groom

Pam Downes.

revdfg

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    David,
    Just so that there is no misunderstanding about the contents of the Marriage Indexes disks fron LFHS.
    1700 - 1753 - name of groom, name of bride, yyyymmdd of marriage, church.
    1754 - 1812 name of groom, name of bride, year, church.
    1813- 1837 name of groom, name of bride, yyyymmdd
    of marriage, church.

Got a bit panicky when you mentioned 'Parish Records' and don't want you thinking that they contained all the info from the PRs, eg witnesses.
    You can also buy the indexes per deanery, per block of years as listed, on fiche. Name-alpha listed on fiche. Initially listed by church on disk, but you can also alpha sort by bride/groom

Pam Downes.
    Thanks, Pam. Thats about what I would have expected. Sorry to cause panic!!

marthae101

Default Arnold & Palmer marriage (Palmer christened in Great Ponton Linclonshire)

Hello revdfg:
    I am not sure if this is relating to your Arnold family or not.
    But it does on my Arnold family from Lincolnshire.
    John Arnold born: 11 Dec 1820 Hacconby, Lincolnshire.
    Married Jane Palmer 3 Oct 1844. Where we do not know as of yet.
    Jane Palmer christened 8 Sept 1825 Great Ponton, Lincolnshire.
    John Arnold died: 12 Mar 1904 DeKalb Co., Illinois, USA.
    Jane (Palmer) Arnold died: 20 April 1904 and buried in Victor Township,
    DeKalb, Illinois, USA along with John.
    They had the following children:
    Elizabeth b: 1843 Hacconby, Lincs.
    William Arnold b: 1846 d: 1930.
    George b: 13 April d: 25 Jan 1895.
    Sarah E b: 1855 DeKalb, Illinois. Also in Victor Township Cemetery, DeKalb, IL.
    Henry b: 1858.
    John P. b: 1859.
    Issac b: 1862 d: 1942.
    Charles will have to look this up, I forgot.
    The above John Arnold is the son of John Arnold christened: 21 Sept. 1797.
    His parents were: William Arnold who married: Ann Pridgeon on 29 Nov. 1796 in Helpringham, Lincolnshire, England. I think it best that I write this all out and re-post it in order. I am just going by memory, which I know I am correct.
    I am going to ask for some help with my Tinsley and Sturgis family lines which run in this Arnold line.
    Kind reguards,
    Martha in USA

mickdowney

Don't know if you have found William & Mary. If you haven't most of the family came to South Australia. I am married to William & Mary's GGGrandaughter Valerie Netta Ward. The Wards' were Pioneers and settled around the Gawler District of South Australia. Lucy married George Priest and George William married Sarah Money. There were 5 other children and my wife's Grandfather was James Arnold Ward son of James Ward, born Wyville 1830. James Pioneered settlement in hawker S.A. There have been books written on the family and there descendants in Australia.

Hello mickdowney,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

David hasn't visited BG for a while, but hopefully his email address hasn't changed so he should receive notification of your post.
    Just shows the (frightening) power of the internet that posts from ten years ago can generate a reply from distant cousins.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Mick - Hope you're still connected to this forum as I am also a GGGrandaughter of William Ward and Mary (Arnold), so your wife and I are very close cousins (haven't looked up exact number of cousins removed...)My GGrandmother was Caroline WARD who married Robert H HUNT. Their daughter Henrietta married Henry FRY. I live just outside Parramatta in NSW. Love to hear from you. I have compiled a large WARD family tree. Liz

Hello Liz,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Mick hasn't visited BG since his original post five years ago, but if he still uses the email address with which he registered he should receive notification of your post, so fingers crossed!

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”