Norma Hudson

Default Plantation owners in Jamacia

Looking through the Slave Registers on Ancestry I noticed that the owner of a few places had the same name as I was researching, does anyone know how I can find out if he is the same person, by the way his wife had the right name as well and was also an owner.

Norma

Just Google and found this one to begin with https://
    jamaicanfamilysearch.com/

There are a number of other sites including Jamacia Register General Office.

Good luck

Norma Hudson

Thanks Neil, will have a look.

Norma

Quote Originally Posted by Norma Hudson View Post
    Thanks Neil, will have a look.

Norma

There was some discussion about this a couple of years ago on the Rootsweb newsgroup soc.genealogy.west-indies. Back-posts are archived at Rootsweb, it would probably be worth your looking through the archive.

Lesley

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Back-posts are archived at Rootsweb
    and at https://groups.google.co.uk/group/soc...-indies/topics

Norma Hudson

Thankyou Lesley & Peter,
    Have looked and it looks very interesting, but I wander whether it will actually tell you where the owner was born?
    By the way he may have only been the Guardian of the slaves, so he may have been working for a landowner.
    By 1851 he was back in England, and classed as a retired Farmer.
    He seems to have had his children here and was not about when his daughter married here in 1825.
    If it is the same person!!!
    It1s funny though in 1841 his wife is in England on her own as a Farmer!!!
    Was he over there!!!

Norma

Heather

Norma.....

Do you have an LDS (Mormon) family history centre near you? My husband is from Jamaica and I have researched his entire family through the LDS......and back into the 1700's. I imagine your ancestor came out to the Island to make a fortune, got lonely and left some issue behind and returned to England. Not an unusual set of circumstances, lol. My husband's earliest ancestor was from England and went there around the late 1700's.

As for the site mentioned re Jamaican Research, that is run by Patricia Jackson and is excellent, however it is a pay site. You could put the surname into the search function and see if you get any hits.

Sorry I didn't see this before, but I don't seem to be getting notifications when people post here.

Heather....Forum Admin.

Norma Hudson

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
    There is an LDS family history centre near me, so I will see if I can get there, and find out anything.

Also will try his name in the search function of the Jamaican research.

Thanks again
    Norma