Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Default Sarah McCaule. Letterkenny

My husbands grandmother was Sarah McCauley/McAwley or however it was spelt. Born 1889 in Letterkenny as far as I know.
    I believe she emmigrated to Scotland, around the turn of the century, but cannot be sure. I think her parents names were David and Jeannet, but again I cannot be sure.
    What I do know, is she married William Spencer and had their first child in Edinburgh, before moving to Tamworth.
    I have tried searching in vain and now have no idea where to look.
    Any help or suggestions gratefully recieved.
    Sue

Jan1954

Hello Sue,

Letterkenny is a fine place - I was there back in 1972. Crikey! I have just realised that was 36 years ago! How time flies.....

Back to your question.

I have found the publications of Flyleaf Press very useful in tracing my Irish Ancestors. I see that they have "Tracing your Donegal Ancestors", which may be of use. Click on the link and see what is included.

Good luck,

Thank you for that. I have had a look, but unfortuately Donegal records are not included.
    Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

1 1917 SPENCER WILLIAM MCAULEY SARAH COLINTON EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 677/00 0015

I think her parents names were David and Jeannet, but again I cannot be sure.
    Assuming the above is the marriage her parents names should be noted on it ?
    Chasing Caseys

That is absolutely great!
    Thanks for your help.
    Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Sue i am not sure if you know that this can be downloaded from scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You will have to pay £6 for 30 credits and this will only cost you 6 credits but if William and his family are Scottish they wont be wasted as you can search for his birth and parentage, census ect............

Happy hunting
    Chasing Caseys